13 November 2015

+JMJ+

"Two or Three" Book Club, Meeting 130

We have a winner! November and December will be for faerie tales and folk tales that come to us via Italia!

Time permitting, I'd also like to take Brandon's suggestion and do a couple of Grimm vs. Calvino face-offs.

Let's begin with L'amore delle tre melagrane or The Love of Three Pomegranates. I know nothing about it except that Italo Calvino said there were dozens of versions of it all over Italy, each one with a different fruit or nut. (Somehow that seems more authentic than a single Italian standard, with an undisputed fruit, would be.) Perhaps Calvino's story will make it clear why he settled on pomegranates. If not, we can guess first and do some research later.

I've found George Martin's translation of Calvino's version on Live Journal, and the original Italian in a PDF.

I hope to get the first post up early next week. See you then! =)

Image Source: Fiabe Italiane

4 comments:

Brandon said...

Will definitely be there!

MrsDarwin said...

I'll be reading along. (And for the record, I'm commenting on my phone.)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

It took me longer than I had hoped to get the first post up, but we can all start the discussion now! As usual, it's great to see you both. =)

love the girls said...

I read the girl who wont stay dead in the red fruit, now what?