22 June 2015

+JMJ+

Nonsense and Some Sense Verse Smackdown, Musical Intermission

According to Parkinson's Law, work expands to fill the time available for it. According to Enbrethiliel's Law, blogging work expands whether you and time like it or not. And editing other people's verse is very expansive work. So while I give myself another week to put the "Funny Four" together, here is another face-off to tide you over.

vs.
Noel Coward vs. Cole Porter

If you were around for the "Weird Al" Yankovic Song Smackdown, then you know that there are a lot of funny verses to be found in song. Cole Porter is probably the best lyricist American English has ever known, while the British Noel Coward spread his humourous writing more widely over different literary forms. (By the way, can you guess, without listening, which featured song mentions the Philippines?)

The winner of last week's face-off, with 75% of the vote (which sounds so impressive until you actually count the votes =P) is Louisa May "Queen of My Tub" Alcott!

If you'd like to claim June Giveaway points after voting in the combox, the Rafflecopter is embedded after the jump!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

6 comments:

Brandon said...

Knew, without having to guess, which one mentioned the Philippines!

I vote Noel Coward; poor Cole Porter, talented though he is, never stood a chance.

cyurkanin said...

Ol' Noel is far too disturbing, Cole is King today. Cole.

Jenny said...

Sorry. I'm not voting today. I just wanted to say I almost gave you a shout out in my book review today and begged you to read the book so you could explain it to me.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Brandon and Christopher -- Thanks!

Jenny -- After those experiences with the other writers I mentioned, I'm afraid I'd prefer to stay clear of Andrew Smith for the rest of my life! =P But thanks for appreciating my rants, when they do come. =)

mrsdarwin said...

Days late, but: Cole Porter.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

No worries, Mrs. Darwin! Thanks for breaking the tie. =)