17 June 2015

+JMJ+

Making Some Sense . . . and Some Nonsense!

Hangman Blue Letter W ampersand & bead letter Q
PRW 2 number 9

Word & Question went on hiatus for a year, but it is back now with a totally new bunch of players. But those who remember the old days know that one thing hasn't changed at all: I'm still posting stuff late and backdating it. My muse is many things, but he is not punctual.

By the way, one of the things he is, is odd. I hope that's okay with you all . . .


Word: Mockingbird
Question: May I join in?

It troubled me, I'd never heard
The song of a real mockingbird

But having listened, now I know
Why Lee's novel is entitled so
And that's as far as I can go

I confess I've also never read
Whether the bird does end up dead

Someday I'd like to join the ranks
Of those who store in memory banks
The answer, while I just draw blanks
Until then, friends, "No spoilers, thanks!"

The challenge that "mockingbird" presented to me this week reminds me of a former regular who loved to use the names of flowers as her word prompts. I dreaded ending up with them because flowers and I have never been more than passing acquaintances. (I still think my poem for "hyacinth" is my weakest submission.) Well, what I've learned is that birds and I are even less friendly with each other. LOL! And the above was almost a poem about anthropomorphic birds before it occurred to me to listen to some birdsong recordings on YouTube and I realised that what I was planning to make the mockingbird do was like making Il Volo cover One Direction. (Yeah, I can't believe it's been done, either.) I'm that jaded town mouse Horace warned you about.

But I don't mean to be ungracious to the prompt provider. I think it's good to be stumped now and then--and I like seeing what I can produce in extremity. (I am kind of happy about my poem for "ragweed.") I've also noticed that when W&Q games become a regular thing and players get to know each other better, they deliberately start picking prompts they hope will freak the others out. LOL! Ah, good times . . . If that sounds like something you'd like to do, we can meet again in July! ;-)

Now please link up or write your poems in the combox. And if you joined W&Q for the June Giveaway, the Rafflecopter is below, for your convenience. Please also note that I'm still accepting votes for the mini face-off at the end of the Nonsense and Some Sense Verse Smackdown, Round 2--and that can get you another giveaway entry, too!

Check Out the Other Poems from This Round:

Brandon -- Saiorse

a Rafflecopter giveaway

7 comments:

Brandon said...

Ironically, I suggested 'mockingbird' because I've had one giving me trouble recently. They will sing at any hour of the day, they have extraordinary lungs, and they are one of the most versatile songbirds in creation (they can mimic almost perfectly other birds, babies, telephones, car alarms....), so they don't have a single pattern to their singing that you can get used to -- and thus one can sound like an entire chorus of birds right outside our window singing at the top of their lungs at 2 am. So mockingbirds were very much on my thought. Apparently the little songster's trouble at both ends of the prompt.

I like what you did with it, though; particularly the third stanza.

Brandon said...

And mine is up:

Word: Boondocks, Question: Have We Been Here Before?

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

"Mockingbird" was originally supposed to have gone to someone else--and she, too, found it such a challenging prompt that she was happy to trade it in for another, sight unseen! (That other word prompt prompt came from another player who had asked, after the prompts had been set out, if she could still join in. I just couldn't bear to say no!)

Saoirse Sterling said...

Well, I did it. It's not pretty. I'm no good at poetry. I feel bad for butchering this game so, but here you go:

http://xleptodactylous.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/writing-word-question-poetry.html

(My W&Q: Velocity and Who is that Mysterious Person?)

I don't think I've ever heard a Mockingbird sing before. I'm not sure we get them in England? I know of plenty of pigeons, though. I love your rhyming scheme. I'm terribly trying to avoid rhymes in poetry because I've always thought real poetry should ONLY rhyme, so challenging the preconception is a priority. Mockingbird does seem quite a difficult one to add in to a poem, though "boondocks"... I don't even know what that is!

Anyway. Only lies in the comments on mine, please, only lies.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Non-rhyming poetry is very hard for me to write. I challenged myself to do some free verse a few years ago, and it ended up highly structured anyway. =P

Thanks for joining the game! =)

Anonymous said...

Our soujourn is measured by sips of tea.
Pray thee, tarry and share with me
Words of leisure and urgency
Words of sorrow and infancy
And the silence between all these
Punctuated with, 'Would you like some tea?'

Better late than never?My prompts were Infancy and Would you like some tea? These prompts were a perfect summation of the last nine years of marriage.
-Amy

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

That's lovely! =) I'd love to share a cup of tea with you, too.