05 May 2015

+JMJ+

An Oddly Timed Teaser


Although I finished today's featured book last month, and continued to tote it around with me so that I could reread favourite passage several times, I didn't remember my special rule to do these "two-legged" teasers for books with two legs on their covers until last weekend. So this present post doesn't announce a future review, but points you in the direction of a past "three-legged" feature on this blog and a past discussion post on my book club's blog. Which is totally appropriate, as you will see after the jump.

I turn to look at Clare and just for a moment I forget that she is young, and that this is long ago; I see Clare, my wife, superimposed on the face of this young girl, and I don't know what to say to this Clare who is old and young and different from other girls, who knows that different might be hard. But Clare doesn't seem to expect an answer.

It took me an hour to come up with the right two lines for today's post. Audrey Niffenegger's prose is so beautiful that I could share snippets of the book all day. I settled for the above because of my rule that the two lines should be two "legs" that the whole text it can walk about on, in order to look for new readers to introduce itself to--which is arguably what a good teaser is.

I think that this snippet well represents The Time Traveler's Wife because it blends the novel's themes of time travel, love, loss, free will, theodicy, knowing too much, knowing too little, and a universe that has no answers for our questions--the way all the ages of Clare's life are blended in her present face . . . and past, present, and future are blended in her husband's life. And because you'd have to be a time traveler (or a reader of this book) to be able to see all three blends with any clarity at all.


Image Source: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

3 comments:

fredamans said...

I really enjoyed the film. I haven't read the book though.

Jenny said...

One day I'm going to re-read this book. It's so good. Glad you're pushing it on people. ;)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Freda -- The Time Traveler's Wife was in my TBR pile for a couple of years. I'm sure that when you finally read it, you'll see that it is just the right time. =)

Jenny -- One person who got a good review from me said that it would be her next book, so I have not lived in vain! ;-)