02 May 2015

+JMJ+

Locus Focus: Take One Hundred Fifteen!


This might not be the best year for Locus Focus, but I haven't missed either May at the Movies or May Is for Mothers in the last four years, and I'm not going to miss having one of them this year! As previously announced, it's going to be another movie year. =)

In the past, we've looked at movie settings with books, movie settings with music, and movie settings that are "motherly" in some way. This month, I'm going to go with the obvious and look at movie settings with movies.

The Colonial Theatre
The Blob

"It's the most horrible thing I've ever seen in my life!"

When I selected my theme and started thinking of examples, maybe the first ten that I came up with were from the Horror genre. Of course.

That is, of course I'd think of the movies that I ponder most deeply, which happen to be members of the Horror family. But is it also accurate to say that Horror movies come to mind first because they really do outnumber all the other examples? The only thing scarier than the monster on the screen is the monster coming through the screen--and the first people who'd get that would be the Horror filmmakers themselves. I'm already working on a Top 5 List (Remember when I used to do those?!) with my favourite examples of monsters breaking through the fourth wall, but I thought I'd get May at the Movies started with a monster that gets to the audience through the projection room.

You know, if you really think about it, the projection room is scarier than the screen. Not for some philosophical reason, like its being the fountainhead of the Horror movie . . . but for the very practical reason that it's located behind an unsuspecting audience, who therefore never see the threat coming until it's too late.

Indeed, there doesn't seem to be anything meta here. There's certainly no connection between the matinee feature Daughter of Horror and the huge, shapeless, creeping blob that sends the audience screaming into the streets. The town cinema is just another place that the Blob takes over--no different from the doctor's clinic or the grocery store. In fact, now that I think about it, I like the town diner better. =P

But having sifted through a couple of decades of filmmakers trying to out-meta each other with some sort of statement about cinema, the non-clever approach is kind of cool. Even pure.

For more of what the sorely missed The Mike calls AWESOME BLOBNESS, you may want to revisit my live blog of The Blob. The whole film may no longer be up on YouTube, but it was a glorious Friday Night Movie while it was!

Image Source: The Colonial Theatre

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I think I watched The Blob years ago and had quite the laugh. I wonder when it was released if it was scary.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

When I saw it, I found some elements funny, but I took it seriously as a cult classic and a friend's favourite film.

Now you're making me wonder if the Colonial Theatre scene is more meta than I thought. I always thought it was weird that the audience were laughing so hard at Daughter of Horror. Was the small town in The Blob quirky enough for "so bad, it's good" movie night specials? (And am I one more showing my ignorance of small town America? =P) Perhaps that scene is the director's way of saying that he accepted some people would find his movie unintentionally funny!