23 May 2015

+JMJ+

Locus Focus: Take One Hundred and Eighteen!


May at the Movies arguably peaked last week, when I blogged about the best movie house ever seen in a movie house (and in living rooms . . . and during modern film festivals, in some cineplexes as well). But that's no reason to stop going. Not when I had my "TV Edition" post all planned. My only real goal for my blogging is to keep going for as long as I can--and if that means tiring everyone out after I've jumped the shark, so be it. So are you all ready for the anticlimax???


Aero Theater
Dance Till Dawn


"Look, can we just ignore each other, okay? Just sit back and watch the movie and pretend that you don't know who I am. And I will do the same for you . . ."

Who does a movie marathon during prom night? The kids who don't have dates: that's who. (Also some kids who might have dates and are too cool for prom--but they're too cool for this blog as well. =P) Not that there's anything too wrong with missing your prom. As a modern rite of passage, it leaves much to be desired. But something we need as much as rites of passage is a sense of communion with others in our communities--and prom may still offer that. Then again, what do I know? I went to both my junior prom and my senior prom (with a date! both times! the same guy! a son of one of my mother's friends! the closest to going steady I ever got!) and they were pretty shallow.

But enough about me. Let's talk about Dance Till Dawn and the shelter offered by the Aero Theatre to two kids who didn't want their own parents to know that they were dateless on prom night. One is an unpopular geek and the other is one of the most popular students in school. And yeah, the rest of the script pretty much writes itself, doesn't it? LOL!

As a substitute for prom night, this movie house stands up pretty well. For it offers not just a sense of communion, but also a rite of passage! In it, the young man who has always thought of himself as a wimp gets a chance to be a knight in shining armour to a lovely damsel in distress . . . and then has his courage and quick thinking recognised by others. To top it all off, the B-grade Horror movie on the screen gets to be the Greek chorus to the drama! Don't you like it when settings are co-conspirators in the formation of virtue?

But let's not make the mistake of thinking that we need certain settings to be virtuous . . . or you know, to be happy. Every place offers us the same chances. Some are just more romantic than others. To think otherwise is just to make excuses.

By the way, the Aero Theatre is a real place! And I may be the only one who visits it someday because Dance Till Dawn is one of her favourite made-for-TV movies of all time. LOL! But will I also have a date when I do? Oh, dear . . .


Question of the Week: Do you think the movies are a good place for dates?

4 comments:

Sheila said...

I have never been on a date at the movies. In fact *whispers* it is arguable that I have never been on a date at all. Depends on what you count. I did not have a prom either, though there were college formals and I did have dates for some of those! (Yes, John, each time I did have a date. It all depended on how much he was trying to avoid me that year. One year he would have taken me but had mono so we stayed in and played ping pong. Ah, the romance!)

But the movies sound like a good place for a date IF you can agree on a movie. (If you can't, the relationship is probably doomed.)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

The only movie "dates" I ever go to are with my best friend. We always reach an amicable compromise, though she has more luck getting me to watch stuff I normally wouldn't see than vice versa!

Wait . . . do my movie "dates" with my brother count? We watch movies at home, on one of our laptops, and often plan ahead so that we have stuff to nibble as well. (Incidentally, Dance Till Dawn was our latest movie. And I was so pleased that he enjoyed it!)

DMS said...

I have never heard of this movie or movie house. I think it sounds fascinating. Hope you get to visit the real place one day!

I do like to go on movie dates. Sometimes I go with my fiance- but my best friend and I really like a lot of the same movies-so we usually go together. :)
~Jess

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Movies are more fun with company, aren't they? =)