16 April 2015

+JMJ+

Theme Thursday 13


Remember the Theme Thursday "scavenger hunt" I'm doing on my own now that the host and all the other players have moved on to other things? Until a few days ago, I had completely forgotten the next theme on my list. I'd be more embarrassed by how long it took me to get to it, were it not for the perfect synchronicity of a time travel novel having the honour of pushing me back to 17 March 2011.

This Week's Theme:
Crockery/Utensil


March 1994 (Clare is 22, Henry is 30)

CLARE: And so we are married. At first we live in a two-bedroom apartment in a two-flat in Ravenswood. It's sunny, with butter-coloured hardwood floors and a kitchen full of antique cabinets and antiquated appliances. We buy things, spend Saturday afternoons at Crate and Barrel exchanging wedding presents, order a sofa that can't fit through the doors of the apartment and has to be sent back. The apartment is a laboratory in which we conduct experiments, perform research on each other. We discover that Henry hates it when I absentmindedly click my spoon against my teeth when reading the paper at breakfast. We agree that it is okay for me to listen to Joni Mitchell and it is okay for Henry to listen to the Shaggs as long as the other person isn't around. We figure out that Henry should do all the cooking and I should be in charge of laundry and neither of us is willing to vacuum so we hire a cleaning service.

Is there something meaningful about a spoon in a time travel novel--or at least this time travel novel? Not really. It just happens to be the utensil that triggered my memory . . . kind of the way Henry DeTamble's chrono-displacement symptoms are triggered by flickering lights and stressful situations. I must have read about countless forgotten spoons, forks, knives, plates, bowls, and cups before I reached this point in Audrey Niffenegger's Time Traveler's Wife, but none of them got me displacing myself into comboxes from five years ago and hoping someone from then will return the visit in my now.


Image Source: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

No comments: