22 May 2014

+JMJ+

That's What They Memed

Check out more quotations
@ ChapterBreak.net

As you can see, I found another meme I could do this month! I'm not too crazy about the badge--for the same reason I'm not crazy about seeing the faces of cover models--but I suppose it fits. After all, who could look at it and not know what the meme is about?

At the risk of turning Shredded Cheddar into a Twilight blog, I'm sharing something from Eclipse, the novel which actually got me to say aloud, "Edward Cullen says the sweetest things." (I can admit that because I now have no shame. Absolutely none.) The following is an exchange between him and Bella, scribbled on notes during class. You'll know who is saying what . . .

I wasn't about to send you off alone. With your luck, not even the black box would survive.

So let's say my bad luck did crash the plane. What exactly were you going to do about it?

Why is the plane crashing?

The pilots are passed out drunk.

Easy. I'd fly the plane.

Both engines have exploded and we're falling in a death spiral toward the earth.

I'd wait till we were close enough to the ground, get a good grip on you, kick out the wall, and jump. Then I'd run you back to the scene of the accident, and we'd stumble around like the two luckiest survivors in history.

Now that I'm rereading the formerly hated New Moon, this bit of "banter" is even more meaningful. Edward was such a drip in the previous novel that his cheerful state is like sunlight in comparison. It was after I read these notes they passed back and forth that I realised I wanted to be Edward's friend. I'd be the sort of buddy who'd have his back and never tell Bella that he was probably pulling her leg about knowing how to fly a commercial airliner. ;-)

If you've already read Eclipse and want to discuss it, my Reading Diary entry on it is always open to new comments!

* * * * *


If you're looking for another meme to try, you're welcome to write something for Locus Focus on Saturday. This feature lets us share the settings that we loved with others. I'm excited whenever anyone leaves the link to his own Locus Focus post in my combox, and I make it a point to read and comment on them all! =)

Image Source: Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

14 comments:

Melissa Robles said...

Oh the Twilight days! :') I remember this note exchange, loved every single word Edward wrote. He had me grinning from ear to ear. :)

Rose C. said...

I do NOT remember this exchange between Edward and Bella, but it has been a while since I read Eclipse and I only read it once... I love this! (And yeah, about the badge, we are thinking of changing it soon... I get what you mean about cover models... so we DID try to chose a normal, but good looking guy...not some shirtless, tattooed, pierced model dude...hmmm perhaps more people would have taken notice HAD we chose that? haha) thanks for linking up!

Sheri said...

I remember this exchange...probably because when the books first came out (before they were popular!) I read the whole series through five times. I've thought about re-reading again, but I'm worried that the sixth time and however many years later I wouldn't love them as much for whatever reason - so I haven't :) Thanks for stopping by Shut Up & Read!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Melissa -- The Twilight days are still around for me! I didn't finish Eclipse until last week, so it's all very new! And now I'm looking for fellow Twilight fans who wouldn't mind having those old discussions again with me . . . Hint? Hint? ;-)

Rose -- Well, one advantage this guy has over the hypothetical shirtless, tattooed guy is that he makes the meme seem sweeter--which is actually what I like about it. I've become more sensitive lately to the romantic power of words. A model using another sort of power (you know, sex appeal =P) might distract from that.

Sheri -- My experience is totally the opposite of yours! I was unimpressed by Twilight the first two times I read it, and outright hated New Moon the first time. Eclipse was really a revelation, and it inspired me to reread the first book and finally come away with a positive experience of it. Now I'm rereading New Moon and actually liking it! =D I can't imagine ever disliking these books now, though I am apprehensive about The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner.

Carmel @ Rabid Reads said...

I've re-read the Twilight series several times now, but it's always good to revisit it from time to time. Thanks for sharing, and happy Friday!

Sullivan McPig said...

Jacob! I'd be friends with Jacob. You know my feeling on Edward ;-)

Julie S said...

Ooh that's a fun quote. I love the banter. Thanks for participating :)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Carmel -- It's nice to know that the books stand up to rereading! =) And thank you for tweeting my posts!

Sully -- LOL! I'd actually want to date Jacob while being friends with Edward. Basically, Bella in reverse. ;-P

Julie -- It's even funnier if you read the book and get their reactions to each other's notes! =)

Sheila said...

I translate this exchange as, "You're helpless. I'm awesome. Let's talk about how awesome I am."

Edward just cannot impress me. I'd be team Jacob all the way - from what I've seen/read he's an okay guy. And even if he isn't, he can't help but shine by comparison.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

But . . . it's arguably true that if they were in a crashing plane, Bella would be helpless, while Edward would be . . . able to do stuff that I would humbly describe as "awesome." ;-)

Sheila, you may have to write me off as a hopeless case! When I read your critical comment, all I could feel was happiness that I could talk about Twilight a little more. LOL!

Sheila said...

So .... Bella's a loser, she knows it, Edward knows it, and Edward is awesome, he knows it, and Bella knows it.

I just don't find that very romantic.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Of course, you get to decide what you find romantic, but I don't think your reading of this exchange is very fair. Any human would be helpless if a commercial airliner were crashing because both engines exploded, but that doesn't automatically make us losers. (Well, perhaps losers in the lottery of life? But then again, so are vampires.)

We're dealing with a relationship between a human and a vampire here, but I think that the same dynamics show up in real-life human relationships. Take physical strength. Men are generally physically stronger than women. But it would be a really messed up guy who thought his girlfriend was a loser just because she couldn't bench press the same weight he does. Edward really likes Bella. He's just teasing her here.

Sheila said...

He likes her, true .... but it seems there's a constant thread of her being superior to him in every imaginable way. Is there ANY way in which he looks up to her? Anything he admits he can't do as well as she can?

Otherwise it just strikes me as a much-older (which he is) guy impressing a teenager with his flashy car and big bank account. Of *course* he is superior to her in some ways. But is there a non-creepy reason anywhere for him to be into her?

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Is that a Freudian slip in your first sentence? ;-) I know what you mean, though!

To answer your first question, Edward really admires Bella's kindness and the way she takes care of her father. And if it makes you feel any better, Edward is also a horrible tracker. He was on the trail of another vampire, whose scent he picked up in Texas, and he made it all the way to Brazil before he learned that his target was in Washington State. =P But I think the main thing to keep in mind is that it's not a competition between them. Neither of them loves the other because the other is better at some stuff.

As for your second question . . . There's just not going to be a satisfying answer. *rueful smile* I know you don't believe in love at first sight, but I've experienced something like it, so I remain open-minded. Anyway, that's what happened in Edward's case.

As for Bella: first of all, she doesn't care about Edward's car and his money, but she does cares that he saved her twice: first from a car that was about to crush her and then from some strange men who were intending to rape her. It's nice to know that someone is looking out for you and doesn't want you to get hurt. If he can also deliver where rescues are concerned, that's worth some swoons in my book! Of course, it doesn't hurt that Edward is good looking. ;-) I know that being drawn to someone's physical appearance has a bad rep these days, but I can't imagine how anyone could fall in love with a person he or she didn't like the look of!