26 April 2014

+JMJ+

Early Edition: Investigative Report(er)

There's the paper and then there's the other paper

Early Edition is also a Mystery show. Gary Hobson doesn't subscribe to the "It happens because it just does" school of thought, but is bursting with curiosity about the newspaper that some unseen hand delivers daily to his door . . . and kind of hoping to find a way to pass it on to another "subscriber."

But getting answers isn't always easy, as any investigator . . . or investigative reporter . . . could tell him.


Oh, just leave her for dead, Gary . . .

The problem with developing a crush is that you can't be sure if someone is truly an awful character or if you're just jealous that she gets to kiss the hero.

I can at least admit that it's a nice twist to have the guy who reads tomorrow's paper get romantically entangled with the woman who helps to write it. She's also an active player in the game, not merely covering crimes that have already happened, but also going after career criminals, to bring them to justice and to keep them from doing anything worse. But does such a pairing also have staying power?

I'd ask if they can ever be on the same page, but . . .

So is this show totally bounding ahead of me or what? In the previous post, I said that Gary never reads about what he will do as if it's a done deal . . . and in this post, I must qualify that because here Gary gets to read about an effect of what he will do, which is as close to a "done deal" as you can get. He just doesn't recognise himself in the story until his actions lead him right into it, Greek tragedy style.

"And if you had known?" the reporter asks him.

"I'd come anyway," he says, blowing classical Greece's collective mind.

Now I must confess that I've been watching ahead and have seen the episode which ties up the one thread left loose at the end of this one. And that knowledge makes it difficult for me to blog about Early Edition as episodically as I'd like. Without getting too far ahead of my own series, I'll say that one thing that throws the show off balance so badly that the writers don't really want to deal with it is the conflict between those who are heroes for writing the news stories and those who are heroes for preventing those stories from even happening.

Your Turn to Be the Hero: Would you rather write the stories or prevent them?

No comments: