08 March 2014

+JMJ+

"Two or Three" Book Club, Meeting 91

While there's a sense in which we always end up doing something I want, this will be another Lent of not pretending that Shredded Cheddar is a democracy. As you can see, I have the next book all picked out and I hope you don't hold it against me too much.


If I still made Top 5 Lists, last Lent's readalong for Pope Benedict XVI's Jesus of Nazareth, Part II would definitely count as one of my Top 5 Graces of 2013. In the introduction, Pope Benedict said that any book about Jesus should serve to deepen a Christian's relationship with Him--which makes his book a very good book about Jesus.

What made it extra wonderful for me was the "practical application" of everything in it. Jesus of Nazareth, Part II is not just about Jesus, but also about the Mass (which is the greatest light by which we understand Him), and reading it while keeping up my obligation to hear Mass every Sunday and on the required Holy Days took me to a whole new level of literacy. The Mass had long been my path--my way to the Way--and this book became a real light for my journey.

So when I started thinking about a book for Lent 2014, I wanted something that would plug into my devotional life in the same way. And the first which came to mind was St. Louis de Montfort's Secret of the Rosary. That idea actually came to me a few months before an odd, Igorrific coincidence (Hint! Hint!) got me to make St. Louis's Preparation for Total Consecration my first book of 2014. This is going to be my Monfortian year.

Perhaps I should say, my Marian year. St. Louis would want it that way, aye?

Since Brandon is sharing experts from the sermons of St. Peter Chrysologus on his blog Siris, you can go back and forth between this blog and his, so that St. Louis and St. Peter can work your spiritual life over like one of Jesus's original tag teams (cf. Luke 10:1).

Image Source: The Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis de Montfort

3 comments:

Brandon said...

This is a great idea! St. Louis is not a theologian I've looked at in any detail at all, so I'll definitely be reading along.

love the girls said...

I think of the Secret of the Rosary every time I say a prayer. Or at least I think I read it in the Secret of the Rosary.

I always attempt to do my best with every prayer I say so that they may worthy of presenting to Mary.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Brandon -- Great to know!

LTG -- That's a lovely sentiment. If you did indeed read The Secret of the Rosary, then I hope you enjoy having your memory refreshed! =)