28 September 2013

+JMJ+

Sliders: Your Idea of Paradise

From time to time, Sliders takes a break from "high concept" scenarios and presents something entirely on the personal level. It's to get you asking not what kind of world you'd like to live in, but what single detail of your own life you'd like to change.

By the way, there is now a special Sliders section in the newly named Movies and TV page, to make it easier for you to find my posts on every episode. Because I'm only as helpful and organised as I am presumptuous. (You're welcome!)


Trivia: Cleavant Derricks sings in nearly every episode of Sliders

If you hadn't known the order of Season 1 episodes, did you guess, from my introduction, that this would be about Rembrandt? For him, it's always personal! ;-)

In our world, Rembrandt Brown had a singing career which peaked in the 1970s (or the 1960s?), when he was the lead singer of a group called The Spinning Tops. His solo career was lackluster, but he remained optimistic about making a successful comeback until he was suddenly sucked into a wormhole and plunged into an inter-dimensional odyssey. Or as I like to call it, Thursday.

Of all the main characters, Rembrandt is the only one who never wanted to go along for the ride. And he is the one who lost the most--because he was the most attached to the little he did have. In our world, he may be no more than a has-been, but even that is practically royalty compared to his status elsewhere.

That is, until he slides into a world where he is royalty. Music royalty, that is.

Pictured: A TV within your TV
Because Sliders understands its medium

I don't know about you, but I saw this coming as early as the "Elvis episode." =P But here it's a different King who seems to return from the dead: we are in a world where the King of Rock 'n' Roll is not Elvis Presley, but Rembrandt Brown!

Can you imagine a world in which what you wanted most out of life was yours? In Rembrandt's case, that is a huge career, adoring fans and enduring music . . . as well as a former friend angry enough at him to try to kill him. But that's just a tradeoff--and not even the worst one he could have made.

As he did the last time he seemed to find himself in an ideal world, Rembrandt makes plans to stay . . . and as before, things don't quite work out according to plan. LOL! But thanks to his glimpse at what might have been, we do get our second personal question of this blog series . . .

Your Turn to Slide: If your wildest dream from ten years ago were your reality today, how would your closest relationship in the present be different?

2 comments:

Belfry Bat said...

Not that it wasn't an interesting post (or question); I really just don't know.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I think most people don't know, but it might have been fun to guess.

For instance, if I had emigrated to another country ten years ago, I have a good feeling that I wouldn't be as close to my sister as I am today. On the other hand, I might be like a sister again to the cousin I was once especially close to. I don't know it for certain, but I think this guess is plausible.