14 July 2013

+JMJ+

Who Needs a Name When You Have a Smackdown?!?!?
(Revisit Round 1, Round 2, the Intermission, Round 3A, Round 3B and Round 4)

It is time to announce our two big winners! First, the champion of the latest Shredded Cheddar smackdown . . .


Apocalypse Now = 2 votes
Bloodfist = 4 votes
The Missing in Action Trilogy = 0 votes (?!?!?)

At the end of my very first smackdown, an infrequent commenter said I should do one without "a foregone conclusion." Of course, the second I obliged him, he disappeared. =P I remembered him when I was putting this bracket together over a month ago, because it seemed like another one with an obvious winner. I guess I totally underestimated the parallel universe that is Shredded Cheddar

Now, yes, there's a sense in which Apocalypse Now should have won, as it was not just the best film I reviewed for this bracket but also the best film I've ever reviewed for this blog. Whether you believe it or not, it's also the one I had hoped would win. But there was one thing it lacked which Bloodfist had and which made a significant difference: the B-movie was the one which loudly and proudly proclaimed its Philippine setting. What that has to do with art, is nothing. What it has to do with last month's theme is everything.

In short, this victor makes sense.

And now for another winner's announcement, which, depending on how you're taking this news, will either be the salve on the wound or the cherry on the sundae . . .

a Rafflecopter giveaway


This year, there are TWO winners!
Surprise! =D


I've already contacted Jess and Christopher, and expect to hear back from them soon. =)

It was a spur-of-the-moment decision to have two winners this year. I decided to do it because I always wish I could send everyone who participates in my blog a book to say thanks. Of course, I simply can't afford to do that, but having an extra winner this year seemed like a step in the right direction.

Thanks again to everyone who voted in the smackdown, left comments, joined Word & Question, and generally took part in my socially awkward attempts at being fun in June. I know you will understand--and may even be relieved (LOL!)--if I spend the rest of year avoiding blogging anything remotely Filipino. ;-)

Image Source: Bloodfist DVD

9 comments:

love the girls said...

I'm interested in seeing a list of the movies in order of your preference of viewing them.

And perhaps you could do it as video.

cyurkanin said...

A win despite not having caught Sheila in the comments race! Well, you know what to do now, ma'am :)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

LTG -- Wouldn't a video be nice? =P I can't promise anything because I'm as dependent as I ever was on my brother "Camera Man" to get videos done. It's not that I still need him to film me, but he's the only one with a gadget that has a decent camera for vlogs. And he demands payment before lending out his hardware . . .

Christopher -- Yes, I do! =)

Sullivan McPig said...

No!!!! Poor Apocalypse Now!
That'll teach me to be lazy during my vacation and not vote...

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I had been wondering where you were, Sully, but I'm sure the tradeoff in downtime was worth it. =) If the pictures on your blog are anything to go by, you had a wonderful Roman holiday!

DMS said...

Yeah! I am so excited to have won. Thanks so much for the giveaway. All of the books looks so good. Awesome that you surprised us with two winners. Thanks!

Fascinating to see who the winner was. :)
~Jess

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Congratulations again, Jess!

And I also surprised myself with two winners. ;-)

Sullivan McPig said...

I did!
I'm also still guessing and getting closer to the truth. Had it wrong on my first guess.

mrsdarwin said...

Of course it would be Christopher! :)