07 July 2013

+JMJ+

Oh, the Things I Could Have Named This Smackdown!!!
(Revisit Round 1, Round 2, the Intermission, Round 3A and Round 3B)

vs.

At last, we make it to the Finals!!! =D Our two contenders have battled bravely to make it this far, and they have made it because one is really, truly good (despite Marlon Brando's best efforts to sink it) and the other represents everything in terms of sincerity and artistry that I aspire to when I blog (and gives Don "The Dragon" Wilson top billing).

But before I ask you to cast your vote, I must bring out one last surprise . . .

It may have occurred to the especially cultured cinephiles among you (*Cough*Christopher*Cough*) that there were at least two movies made on location in the Philippines that didn't make either the "Apocalypse Now Sixteen" nor any of the mini face-offs I threw in for spice. Perhaps you thought I had forgotten about them, or (Gasp!) didn't know about them to begin with. Nothing could be further from the truth!

To make this my most epic tournament bracket ever, I now give you not one, not two, but three movies as the Wildcard contender for the Shredded Cheddar Smackdown crown . . .


The Missing in Action Trilogy!!!

I almost added something like "Chuck Norris FTW" to the caption, but I didn't want unfairly to influence anyone's vote. =P

As I'm sure Noel and Eegahlnc already know--and Christopher might have absorbed through osmosis--Missing in Action 2 was actually filmed in Mexico, not the Philippines, and strictly doesn't belong in this smackdown. And I did consider having only the first and third movies here. But then I asked myself what my brother Cue Card Boy (the family Chuck Norris fan) would do . . . and I knew I had to grant it that special dispensation. I wish I could include a witty Chuck Norris joke here as well, but my talent with words does not extend so far.

Thanks to everyone who has participated in the most embarrassingly fulfilling blog series I have ever done: Angie, Christopher, Darwin and Mrs. Darwin, Eegahlnc, Entropy, Noel, Stilwell, and Sully! Thanks also to anyone stumbling upon the smackdown for the very first time and audaciously seizing this last chance to vote, too! ;-)

And remember that after you vote for Apocalypse Now, Bloodfist or the Missing in Action trilogy, remember to claim your entry in the updated 2013 Rafflecopter . . .

a Rafflecopter giveaway


Image Sources: a) Apocalypse Now poster, b) Bloodfist DVD, c) Missing in Action poster, d) Missing in Action 2: The Beginning poster, e) Braddock: Missing in Action III poster

19 comments:

Christopher Yurkanin said...

I'm going to tell you something now that is so completely shocking and paradigm-altering that your view of the universe will be forever shaken. I've not seen a single one of those Cuck Norris movies. I do know a lot of Chick Norris jokes though...

Oh, yeah. Bloodfist. Because, well, it's Bloodfist month.

cyurkanin said...

Oops. What he said :)

cyurkanin said...

I've totally screwed up this whole rafflecopter thing with all my stupid google accounts...

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

WHERE IS AN ANIMATED EMOTICON OF A JAW COMPLETELY DISLOCATING FROM A SKULL IN ORDER TO HIT THE FLOOR AS LITERALLY AS POSSIBLE, WHEN I NEED IT?!?!?!?!

Or alternatively . . .

I'd ask who you are and what you did with my friend, but we both know he's been sending me messages about URANIUM lately, so this shouldn't really have come as a shock.

PS -- You feel a lot better about yourself now, yes? ;-)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

You and all your Google accounts are always welcome. =)

cyurkanin said...

It's not just "Google accounts," it's all of my STUPID Google accounts. And thank you :) When is the winner announced?

cyurkanin said...

DIRTY BOMB

Entropy said...

Chuck is very hard to beat but I gotta go with Bloodfist.

Angie Tusa said...

I know it goes against the cheese theme of this blog, but I'm going to go with the classic, Apocalypse Now. :)

Darwin said...

Apocalypse Now. Because I've seen it, and it's all right.

Darwin said...

That was me, you know.

--MrsDarwin

EegahInc said...

I'm gonna go with Bloodfist just because Chuck doesn't need the award. BEING CHUCK NORRIS is all the awards he needs.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Entropy -- Thanks! =)

Angie -- It is arguably the better movie. =)

Mrs. Darwin -- Now that you mention it, I can tell your writing styles apart these days. I wonder when I developed that talent . . .

Eegahlnc -- Well, when you put it that way . . . ;-)

NoelCT said...

The one and only Chuck Norris film I've seen in my life is Sidekicks, and since Apocalypse Now traumatized me as a child, I'm casting my vote for Bloodfist.

cyurkanin said...

I smell a huge upset.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

NoelCT -- Thanks, Noel! =) May I wonder which part of Apocalypse Now gave you nightmares?

Christopher -- I haven't been this surprised since Uptown Girl beat Flying without Wings! =P

NoelCT said...

Not that it gave me nightmares so much as my dad jumped the gun on showing 10-year-old me a Vietnam War drama. :)

love the girls said...

The only one of the movies I've seen is Apocalypse Now.

And I have no idea what the criteria used for the voting is,

yet nevertheless I find myself fully qualified to vote between them because their cover art is sufficient alone to lift Apocalypse Now above the other pretenders.

The fake gunfire action hero posters harkening back to my childhood of reading dimestore comicbooks does have an appeal. But I was neither drawn to the super heroes nor was I drawn to read the adventures of the modern military types that Chuck Norris brings to 3d screens. My preference were the classic comics. And so just as I disdained to vote for them back then in childhood, so likewise do I do so now.


The bloodfist poster reminds me of polyester 70s fashion trends that I fortunately avoided, not because I was not of age, but because I was against killing polyesters for their fur. And so in turn I must likewise be against this polyester 70s fashion trend poster movie.

Besides, the Apocalypse Now poster is the perfect poster to signify the most remembered line in the movie, which in turn best signifies the surreal nature of the events the movie portrays. And what more can one ask for in the poster than that?


Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Where were you last month when there were sixteen movies you could have found yourself fully qualified to vote for???

Thanks for participating! =)

And I will have to steal your line about killing poor polyesters for their furs . . .