16 June 2013

+JMJ+

Smackdown Intermission
(Revisit Round 1 and Round 2)

You knew I was going to do this, right? =P It has been harder than expected to find copies of all the movies that have made the Final Four, so I kind of have to. (In related news, I can't believe how many people who should know better think that Enter the Ninja and Enter the Dragon are the same movie.)

To tide you over, how about another mini face-off, this time between two of the prettiest faces in 1980s Hollywood?


vs.
Born on the Fourth of July vs. An Officer and a Gentleman

Watch a good number of movies about the Vietnam War and you'll likely see a bunch of places in the Philippines (or yes, Thailand) which you will never be able to recognise even if you visited them yourself. In contrast, you'd think that a movie set in and filmed at Subic Bay would give you a good idea of the place a few years later--but history has moved on there, too. The war in one country is over and the US bases in the other country have been closed, yet celluloid will last until the end of the world! Now the question is whether you'd rather remember Tom Cruise before the Scientology or Richard Gere before the Buddhism.

Or you can vote for other reasons, too. We're very tolerant here. =) 

After leaving your comment, remember to claim another entry in the updated 2013 Rafflecopter . . .

a Rafflecopter giveaway


Image Sources: a) Born on the Fourth of July poster, b) An Officer and a Gentleman poster

9 comments:

EegahInc said...

I vote for An Officer And A Gentleman. Why? Cause I got nowhere else to go!!!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

ROFL! I totally forgot about that scene until now. =)

By the way, Eegahlnc, if you still want to vote in last week's face-off (Impasse vs. Sweet Revenge), I'll count it. ;-)

cyurkanin said...

Gere disgusts me more than Cruise. Hard to believe, I know. So, there you go, Cruise. Can I vote Justin Beiber instead?

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I had a feeling that you would vote for Born on the Fourth of July, and you did mention being repelled by Gere when I mentioned his movie Hachi to you; but for some reason, I remain pleasantly surprised by your comment. =) Even the last part. =P

cyurkanin said...

I watched Hachi a few months ago with Cezanne, you should have seen her bawling! I was bawling too, but only because I had to watch Richard Gere.

Angie Tusa said...

Can you believe I have never seen either of these?

I'll vote for An Officer and a Gentleman since it's been on my to do list for a while now.

Shaz said...

I haven't seen either of these films either ... so I'm voting for a 1980s film I have seen and that does have a pretty face it in ... Harrison Ford in The Empire Strikes Back!

mrsdarwin said...

I love voting in these smackdowns in which I've seen none of the options! As always I take Christopher as my cultural guide, and so vote for Born on the Fourth of July. Now what's it about?

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Christopher -- Poor you. =P

Angie -- Thanks! The last time I saw either of these was over a decade ago. Let me know if An Officer and a Gentleman is worth another watch and I'll bawl over it, too, so that Christopher has company.

Shaz -- Welcome back! =D Unfortunately, I can't count that as a write-in because The Empire Strikes Back wasn't filmed in the Philippines--but if you can think of anyone else who was pretty and who set foot in my country to shoot a movie, I'm open to more suggestions!

Mrs. Darwin -- I know, right? It's all of the fun with none of the responsibility! ;-)

Born on the Fourth of July is about a disillusioned Vietnam War veteran. Typical Oliver Stone. Not quite the sequel to Platoon, but we can think of it that way. I should write film summaries for a living.