10 October 2012

+JMJ+

A Poem That Plays a Trick

Stickle Brick Letter w ampersand Scrabble Trickster Letter Q
number 2 Carol Vorderman\

I hope the two players who provided my word and my question for this game will be happy with what I've done with their prompts. For it is not just a treat, but also a trick! It doubles as a riddle, giving us a game within a game. Or as my brother Cue-card Boy might say, "A game-ception!!!"

Read the poem and see if you can guess what I mean . . .


Word: Exquisite
Question: How many chairs will we need?

Eleven promised they would come, and I'm sure of one more.
In every party, too, are some who do not cross the door.
As long as one is dressed in black and has a secret word
He will not find himself turned back; his whisper will be heard:
His tale of how he robbed the dead and came back with the toll,
Fit for ink of darkest red, like blood poured in a bowl.
Tonight we speak forgotten names and sleepers will awake.
This is the magic of our games; and you, too, may partake.
Behold what the night will reveal by power of my pen,
As things far too long under seal are called and used again.
By light almost too faint to read a cadaver will rise:
A corpse exquisite, giving heed, before again it dies.

So can you tell what I'm referring to???

I couldn't resist building an entire poem around it after I saw my word prompt. And since it already sounds macabre, it seemed like an especially good fit for October and the Burial Grounds theme.

But as I told the other players, they don't have to write something scary. I look forward to whatever they'll be linking up in the next two weeks and will embed them in the body of this post as soon as they arrive.


And They've Started Arriving . . .

Agnes Regina -- Stilwell

If this month's shenanigans haven't scared you off and you'd like to join us next month for Word & Question 25, please read the W&Q page for how to go about it. I will start accepting prompts for that on 7 November. See you then! =)

22 comments:

ParaJunkee said...

Well with the twelve at the table and the two deaths...as a Catholic the first thing I thought was the last supper and resurrection...LOL, but I could be totally off, I'm so bad at Riddles.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

You're close! I was going for the connection to the Last Supper, but it's not the answer. Thanks for guessing! =)

DMS said...

I LOVE this! Excellent writing! I am going to say a black mass- or devil worship/ possibly vampires? I just had such the spooky picture to draw whip through my brain! Your rhyming riddle is fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing it : ) ~ Jess
http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I'm so glad you like it, Jess! And so impressed that you can write one of these a week!

The answer is actually not as sinister as the riddle makes it sound. Perhaps I should have said in the introduction that this there is a third game within the "game within a game"? ;-)

cyurkanin said...

It's the Hunger Games, isn't it?...

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

That's a really, really clever guess! =D And the Hunger Games would fit the riddle! (You know about the "lost" District 13, I presume?)

But it's not the right answer, either. =P

Agnes Regina said...

I'm utterly lost as to the meaning of your riddle (though it is absolutely awesome just as a poem!) Here's my own - not nearly so dark or complex, hehe...

http://steellily.blogspot.com/2012/10/word-and-question.html

Agnes Regina said...

(And I just realized it was my word! :) )

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks for joining us this month, Agnes! =) I love your poem!

Agnes Regina said...

glad you liked it and enjoyed playing! :)

amy said...

Hazarding a guess: Midnight. Eleven hours are followed by midnight, which is morning. At midnight the night dies and the day is reborn...

amy said...

I read it to my husband and here is his guess: "Christ, himself in the Resurrection."

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Amy, those are great guesses! I can totally see how the riddle might refer to midnight! Here's another hint, though: I was going for thirteen guests (the eleven who promised, plus one more, plus the host) for the atmosphere, but their number isn't really a clue. The point is that there's going to be a party! And what else do we have at parties? ;-)

I love that your husband's guess makes me seem like a better poet than I am! =P Now the "ink of darkest red, like blood poured in a bowl" could refer to Jesus's words in the Gospels being printed in red in some editions of the Bible! But it's really not Him. =)

Now I'm just worried that everyone's guesses are so much better than the actual answer that it will be a let-down when I reveal it!

Belfry Bat said...

All poetry has that danger to it: because it says less than it means, what it means is full of hidden potential!

I'm particularly intrigued by the phrase "fit for ink" --- I suppose now that this is describing "His tale"? But there's something of a frisson in it whatever it means.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

You mean the Gospels themselves, Bat? No, I'm afraid the answer is not at all religious.

I'm glad you asked for that clarification, though, because I knew it would be tricky even as I was writing the line. It's not "His tale" that is fit for ink, but "the toll"! =P

As I've been saying on Twitter, the problem with this riddle is that the answer is incredibly obvious to those who are familiar with what I'm talking about, but that very few people are familiar with it in the first place. (It's not just obvious: it's mentioned!) Okay, that's enough hints for now . . . ;-)

Salome Ellen said...

OK, two things: 1) I am completely clueless, but fascinated! Pleas promise to eventually unravel this mystery. 2) Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa - I completely neglected to host a September version as I said I would. Please forgive me. I hope to return to the blog-verse more actively soon.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

It's lovely to see you again, Ellen! =D Please don't feel bad about September. Even if you had hosted the game, on my end, I don't think I would have been able to join it! I've only recently got my blogging rhythm back.

And yes, of course, I will reveal the answer to this riddle! When someone guesses correctly or when the next call for prompts goes out--whichever comes first.

Paul Stilwell said...

Here's mine:

http://spikeisbest.blogspot.ca/2012/11/word-question.html

I love your poem. I love that I can't figure out the puzzle for the life of me. I love that I can still love it while it is so totally enigmatic.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

You're just in time, Stilwell! =D I'll comment on it tonight. =)

The Mike said...

I feel like the hints are pushing to some kind of party game with a pen. Like pictionary or password or hangman. The last one makes the most sense - robbing the dead, etc. - but I'm pretty sure I'm stretching.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

WOW! YOU'RE SO CLOSE!!!

Seriously, The Mike, your guess is the closest one yet. =D

I confess that I played up the "robbing the dead" imagery. On the one hand, it fits the answer. On the other hand, I complicated matters. LOL! Just please don't hate me when you see the answer, okay? ;-)

Finally . . . remember that the answer is actually already written in the poem!

Belfry Bat said...

Like, some secret words or something, already written in the poem? Hmph... never heard of such a thing before, but you probably knew that already. I might shout out "BINGO", but then I'd have to read you this stupid card...