12 September 2012

+JMJ+

Wishlist Entry #4
(Or #6, depending on how you count them)


Before I go back to pretending this isn't a movie blog, I should do another book-themed post. And why not one which makes me seem sociable for once? =P

Regular visitors will know that I've been wanting the following title for a while . . .


No, Not the Game Bible--the Games Bible! ;-)

A couple of months ago, a friend and I met up to have lunch and to do some window shopping. I followed her around while she tried clothes on and decided whether or not she really wanted them, and she followed me around while I swam through a bookstore that was having a sale. One of the books I found that day was Leigh Anderson's Games Bible: almost 500 pages outlining over 300 games, both classic and brand-new, many of which require only a pencil, some paper and a simple timer, or just willing players with some time to kill.

It was on a special bargain books table--the part of the store where the stock that have been marked down the most are moved. And that was the good news.

The bad news was that its discounted price was still much higher than most other books' full price. If I bought it, I'd have to splurge. And it was still a lean month for me: I had barely started my new job, and my bank book and I were not yet back on speaking terms.

Since I had been nice about talking my friend out of several impulse buys in the department store, she returned the favour at once. We went back and forth for about five minutes while I clutched the book to my chest, pretended I was having a stroke, and attracted strange looks; but she finally hit on an argument that stumped me:

"Who are you going to play those games with, anyway?"

My brother says something similar when I take him to the toy store and he has to drag me away from the board game aisle. (The little punk.)

And it finally hit me: I didn't really want a book about games; I wanted a person to play games with.

I still do. =)

So that's my wish for this Wednesday. (A book would have been easier, aye? LOL!)

One more thing: in three more Wednesdays, we will have another round of Word & Question. It will be the October game and I go all out for October, so if you want to play, I hope you sign up then. =)

Image Source: The Games Book by Leigh Anderson

6 comments:

Aliaa El-Nashar said...

We have a lot of family events, this would definitely be a good book to have in said events, since we almost always go onto cards - though we're a rather competitive bunch!

Thanks for stopping by :)

marellus said...

:-)

Alex @ alex's bookish blog said...

Nice WW :)! xx

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Aliaa -- There are some card games in this one, too! =)

Marellus -- =P

Alex -- Thanks!

Jenny said...

What, your friend wouldn't play with you? ;)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

She looked as if she wanted to run in the other direction as soon as she saw what the book was about. ;-)

Seriously, I've been trying to get people to play with me for nearly two decades. W&Q is the most successful I've ever been. =P