30 August 2012

+JMJ+

Theme Thursday 8


When I saw this week's theme, my first thought was the latest book my editor sent me to review. It's all about brands and their marketing, and there was a great analysis of a Porsche commercial I would have loved to quote in detail. But then it wouldn't have been a snippet. =P

My second thought was that I had seen this week's exact theme just the other night, while reading the latest "Two or Three" Book Club novel; and as I chewed it over, I realised it would be the better fit . . . if only because the Porsche doesn't actually get driven in the analysed ad. (Excuses, excuses, I know. You'd think I wasn't a fan of Top Gear.)


This Week's Theme:
Driving

It was soon Uppercross with him almost every day. The Musgroves could hardly be more ready to invite than he to come, particularly in the morning, when he had no companion at home, for the Admiral and Mrs. Croft were generally out of doors together, interesting themselves in their new possessions, their grass, and their sheep, and dawdling about in a way not endurable to a third person, or driving out in a gig, lately added to their establishment.

LOL! The grass and the sheep, aye??? I don't blame Captain Wentworth for not wanting to join his hosts as they look over the property they have recently rented. Besides, he'd be quite a third wheel (figuratively speaking, of course) in their new gig.

Since my copy of Persuasion (not the one pictured here for its prettier cover) actually has a footnote for "gig," I'll include it here . . .

"a light one-horse carriage suitable for two people"
(As seen on Top Gear: Regency--LOL!)

A symbol for marital bliss, perhaps? I did a bit more research and learned that gigs were relatively easy to overturn, if you were an inexperienced driver. Hmmmm.

And if I remember correctly, the Crofts' gig, like Chekov's guns, will play a larger role in the story later on, so I hope that all "Two or Three" Book Club members reading this will file that thought away for later!

On an unrelated note, has anyone had an experience similar to Captain Wentworth's, going to visit a friend for a few weeks and ending up visiting some of his neighbours as well? I spent a week at a friend's house once and never met any of her neighbours. It's not that she was poor company (although, come to think of it, she did "dawdle about" her kitchen in a way that drove me crazy); it's just that I've never had the full social experience of visiting a whole village that is so common in a Jane Austen novel, and I'm now wondering whether I'm part of the modern exception or the modern rule. "Two or Three" Book Clubbers, your thoughts?


Image Sources: a) Persuasion by Jane Austen, b) Persuasion (1995) gig

4 comments:

fredamans said...

Awesome!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks! =)

Landslide said...

Great snippet! Thanks for visiting.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

You're welcome! =) Thanks for returning the favour.