19 May 2012

+JMJ+

Locus Focus: Take Seventy-Three


Welcome back! We're still celebrating May at the Movies . . . and still playing Family Fortunes! (It doesn't make much sense, does it? =P Work with me here . . .) So far we have the top two answers on the board. One hundred people were asked to name a place where there are books, and most chose either a library (See Take Seventy-One) or a bookstore (See Take Seventy-Two).

Now, if you've ever watched the show, then you know that sometimes what you consider a single answer gets two separate spots on the board. I wish I could give you a really good example, but all I can remember is the time "Something with a button" had Jacket and Cardigan as two different answers. To people as close to the equator as I am, a jacket and a cardigan are pretty much the same thing. =P

But I think the following setting, while closely related to one that has already come up, is definitely a different breed, if not a different species!

Pageant Book & Print Shop
Hannah and Her Sisters

"You can stay here all afternoon, and not buy anything, and just read!"

Used bookstores are like the golden mean between libraries and regular bookstores. There have been several times I've fallen in love with a library book and wished I had the option to buy it--and it was always a book I hadn't planned on reading, but happened to notice while browsing some shelves I had never checked out before. The golden experience of finding and loving that exact copy meant that a brand new edition of the exact same book just wouldn't have been the same. Indeed, books with their own special history are very romantic, and thousands of them gathered together in one serendipitous spot--waiting for the lucky person who gets to take them home--make the perfect backdrop for the moment when two people who would be good together manage to find each other in the heart of a huge city.

The real-life used bookstore in this movie is absolutely gorgeous, and I'm so glad I got to see it as it was in the day. (The proprietors have since moved it to a new location. Apparently, some old-timers are still a bit sad about that.) But I also really wish I could have come up with a different romantic movie for this week, even going on the IMDb.com boards to ask for recommendations. But I had no time to watch or even to hunt down the movies I hadn't seen, and didn't like the other movies I had seen. So Hannah and Her Sisters won by default. Never has the scene of an adulterous, backstabbing wooing been filmed so beautifully.

The last two Loci Foci have used a movie setting as the hinge for a wider topic, rather than been about the setting itself; and although I tried to fight it for the past two weeks, I won't do so now. You see, my last word on Hannah and Her Sisters is that a lovely, respectable, even artistic exterior does not make a deceptive, traitorous, rotten interior okay. This applies to both the relationships depicted in the movie and the sordid film itself. I think I hate the movie even more because its beauty exists entirely to serve a bankrupt moral.

And don't tell me that it's fine because "no one was hurt" or because "it's just a movie."

Pageant Book & Print Shop deserved so much better.


Image Source: Hannah and Her Sisters screen cap

4 comments:

Angie Tusa said...

While driving around town this weekend, I made a wonderful discovery: the old used bookstore that I thought was gone for good is apparently now at a new location! I'm going to be stopping in there soon to see if I can find some of the older out of print goodies I miss so much from my childhood!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

That's great! =D I hope you find some fantastic stuff!

Annmarie Pipa said...

I remember watching that movie a long time ago...but don't remember a single thing about it...
I buy all my lovely books from the Paper back exchange...love it!!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

You're not the first person to have said that to me about Hannah and Her Sisters. I think it was outrage that makes it so clear in my mind, all these years later. LOL! ;-)