26 May 2012

+JMJ+

Locus Focus: Take Seventy-Four


This is the last Saturday of May at the Movies, which is kind of a relief. Who knew that finding--and blogging about--movie settings full of books would be such a challenge? (Well, yes, I complain speak only for myself, but then again, I was the only one doing this!) In the past few weeks, I managed to find a faerie tale library, a controversial bookstore, and a real-life used bookstore. See them on all on the Locus Focus page! =)

Next month's Locus Focus theme will be another "sequel" . . . Since I will be hosting my third June Giveaway, I will repeat last year's theme of Foreign Shores!

But now I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's spend this Saturday looking at my final movie setting that was a great place for books . . . 

Mr. Fairchild's Rooms
Sabrina
"I love so many things about you, Dad. But you know what I love best of all? You became a chauffeur because you wanted to have time to read."

When I was much younger, well-intentioned but completely mistaken grownups would tell me that I should become a lawyer because I like to read so much. Lawyers have to read a lot, you see. But reading for work is not the same as reading for leisure. And you would have thought that someone who rejected Law school as vehemently as I did already knew that; but I still had to learn it the hard way, many years later, at my first job as a high school teacher. Reading 400 student essays a semester, all around 500 words long, most of them utterly mediocre, nearly put me off reading for a year. Someone please help me articulate the irony of feeling this way after choosing to become an English teacher in order to share my love of reading.

It was really too bad that I didn't have Mr. Fairchild, the Larabee family's faithful English chauffeur, as a career advisor. He would have shown me around his rooms, with their bursting bookcases and other book stacked surfaces, and set me straight about what the best careers are for a passionate reader.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being "poor" if you also make an honest living and manage to support all your dependents. And I kind of wish this remake of Sabrina hadn't undermined that moral by making Mr. Fairchild's career choice lucky as well as wise. At the end of the movie, he reveals to his daughter that the late Mr. Larabee sometimes forgot to turn off the intercom in his limousine, making Mr. Fairchild privy to many of his investment decisions--and that by listening carefully, Mr. Fairchild managed to make a little over two million dollars of his own. Well, I guess listening is a close sister to reading: this twist is not so different from Mr. Larabee forgetting some important documents in the car and Mr. Fairchild reading them as well. (Hmmmm. That actually sounds worse. LOL!)

But the real point is that reading can be its own reward. As he is ready to retire, Mr. Fairchild can be proud of two things: his classy, accomplished daughter Sabrina . . . and his bedroom full of well read books.

What is your "May at the Movies" Locus Focus?

Image Source: Sabrina screen cap

7 comments:

Jenny said...

You always make me look at movies in a new way. Books too, for that matter. I really don't care for Sabrina as a movie but I always did like her dad. Maybe it was because he was a reader all along. ;)

Evie said...

Love this post, love the whole idea and fabulous event you created here!! This is so true, hahaha, you made me laugh with the whole "like reading? become a lawyer"! To me people used to say "study literature", but studying literature is not at all fun. OK, maybe some aspects of it are (I loved medieval prose LOL - I know, 'm weird), but generally it's just such a pain in the ARS when you are forced to read this or that and have no saying in picking your own books what-so-ever. So yes, it's important not to confuse pleasure with business, they don't go together at all!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Jenny -- Thanks again! =)

I think even those who loathe the Sabrina remake love Mr. Fairchild. Funnily enough, I can't remember how the character is portrayed in the original.

Evie -- It's so nice of you to stop by! =D I must beg to differ about studying literature, though. I'm an English Literature major who was very happy with her choice! ;-) But I totally get what you mean about Literature not being an automatic dream course for a bibliophile. Another thing no one tells you is that reading often stops being fun when you have to dissect a beloved a book for your grade.

Shannon Young said...

I haven't seen this movie in a long time! He makes a great point about choosing a job that allows time for your passions if you aren't able to be paid for them.

When I was teaching English literature to high school students I reread the entire Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. It's a guilty-pleasure fantasy series, but I needed a break from all the Mary Shelley and Dostoevsky. Now that I'm teaching ESL to primary kids, I've gone back to reading more serious books.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Shannon, I can relate completely! When I was teaching English Literature, all I could read were the books on the syllabus (Homer, Dante, Shakespeare, etc.) and Romance novels! LOL! Your Wheel of Time marathon puts me to shame. ;-)

amy said...

This is too funny Enbrethiliel! Sabrina's dad has been my hero and career model since I was... however old. My early plan for life was that I would be poor... but with lots of time to read. I thought that I gave up this dream to become a wife and a mother, but actually got what I always wanted. I make no money and I read an awful lot- both books for the little ones and books for myself.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Your life sounds wonderful, Amy! As you might be able to tell, I love Middle Grade and Young Adult fiction very much. I'd be on Cloud 9 if I had a family I could read those books with--whether old favourites of mine that I get to pass along or new releases that we discover at the same time. =)