16 May 2012

+JMJ+

Happy Poem Day!

studio g Stamp Set Stencil Letter W ampersand & rubber stamp letter q
number 2 Rubber Stamp Number 1

Today is the day Word & Question officially turns twenty-one! It took over twenty-one months to get here, but that's because, here on Shredded Cheddar, we measure time not in arbitrary clumps of twenty-eight to thirty-one days, but in poems. (Learn more about W&Q on the page for Poetry.)

For this month, I have an "extended" form of a very traditional and very well-known type of poem.

Word: Elvis
Question: How long will you tolerate this?

There once was a jukebox named Elvis
Who protested when we tried to shelve his
Hits from the Fifties
("Do not try to shift these!"),
Songs from the Sixties
("Keep them in the mix, please!"),
A few from the Forties
("The least of this sort? She's
Still better than all Twenty-Twelve is!").

There is now is an iPod named Justin
Who takes all the songs that he must in.
"Haters, won't hate me,
There in Twenty-Eighty.
The last laugh? All mine, see:
I own Twenty-Ninety.
And tell them someone said
In Twenty-One Hundred
They'll all love this digital dustbin."

Within a minute of assigning the prompts and seeing what I had received, I had mentally relocated myself to a 50s-era diner, jukebox and all. And I wasn't sucked back into the present--a la Somewhere in Time--until my iPod fell out of my pocket and reminded me of when I'm really from. Which was kind of funny because my playlist is mostly from the 80s and 90s anyway.

There was almost a third stanza about a walkman named Bowie, but I had no idea what he was doing there.

Now it's everyone else's turn! =) Please leave the links to your poems in the combox so that we can all enjoy your poems as well.

10 comments:

christopher said...

(typing this twice because I mean it)

This is my favorite poem of yours so far :) You did a much better job with actual caesura than I did last month and I love your almost-third-stanza LOL!

dylan said...

This is mighty clever! I like it a lot! And you used "Elvis" as a rhyme word, no less! Bravissima!

My poem: here it is.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Christopher -- I'd still like to write that third stanza. It's so promising, you know?

Dylan -- Thanks! =) I'm inordinately proud that I was able to rhyme "Elvis" without going for the obvious choice. ;-)

Fairday Morrow said...

Fun poem! Thanks for sharing it : ) ~ Jess

christopher said...

Ok,
here is mine
for #21! Did my hyperlink work?

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Jess -- Thanks for reading it and leaving some feedback. =)

Christopher -- Yes, it did! I'm off to add your link to this post now . . .

Dauvit Balfour said...

Here I am! Here I am!

I loved it, E. I'm also impressed your rhymed Elvis without going the obvious route. I couldn't help thinking of the diner scene in Pulp Fiction, or really any fifties diner scene.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

And indeed there you are! =D

I'm so glad you like my poem. =) I wept when I saw my word, but I'm really pleased with how it has turned out.

Paul Stilwell said...

Love your poem.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks, Stilwell. =)