13 May 2012

+JMJ+

Another Book, Another Wish


You don't have to have read books to be able to write about them. I have posts here about books I've bought for myself or received from others that I had yet to get to at the time I blogged about them. But that's because they are stories wrapped in stories--that is, the stories of other writers wrapped in the stories of how I got them--and although I can't tell the former yet, I can certainly share the latter.

It is books that elude my grasp that are trickier to write about, which is why I've only managed two On My Wishlist posts in the past. (See #1 and #2, both from a couple of years ago.) Only very recently has another coveted title proven elusive enough to inspire a third.




I would love to get a copy--any copy--of Christopher Pike's Monster.

Although this YA Horror novel has managed to stay in print since its 1992 debut, it's been pretty hard to find. (One generation's best-seller is the next generation's obscure cult classic.) I've asked at two major chains that carry other Pike titles and have been browsing used bookstores more strategically of late, without any luck. Even The Book Depository, my favourite online book retailer (because it delivers to my country for free and sends the parcels as documents so that I don't get taxed for them), doesn't have it in stock.

I want to read Monster because I can't think of any other "Retro YA" novel that would make such a perfect pair with Bram Stoker's Dracula.

For, yes, I'm still doing my Extraordinarily Cheddary Postmodern Steampunk Challenge, which involves completing eight Victorian classics--and still tangling it up with the YA of the 80s and 90s Reading Challenge, which means finding counterparts for those eight older novels among the Young Adult fiction of the first two decades of my life.

So far, I've only been able to do this with H. Rider Haggard's King Solomon's Mines (See my Reading Diary post!) and Diane Duane's So You Want to Be a Wizard?--although, by my own admission in Life As a Reading Challenge, Chapter 5, I didn't actually do it. (No, I don't make sense to myself, either.)

In any case, Dracula and Monster are bound to be a better fit, right? I'm currently on Chapter 1 of the Victorian Horror classic, reading as slowly as I can and hoping that the YA Pulp novel will show up in my life sooner rather than later.

Image Sources: a) Monster by Christopher Pike, 1992 cover, b) Monster, UK cover, c) Monster, 2001 cover, d) Monster and Die Softly

8 comments:

missbookreviews said...

Woww, I really hope you find this book! It sounds like it's a mission!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

It is a mission! LOL! Thanks. =)

Tiffany Drew said...

I hope you find it too! I see Christopher Pike books every once in a while when shopping for books at the two Goodwills near me. I'll keep an eye out for it!!

Thanks for stopping by Book Cover Justice :)

Angie Tusa said...

That first cover is the version I read and it brings back so many memories! I know that as a kid with little cash it made sense that I would go trade in my books at the second hand shop for new ones, but I too really wish I still had these!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Tiffany -- Thanks for returning the visit! =) Unfortunately, I don't see Christopher Pike books as often as I'd like, but I'm trying to stay optimistic.

Angie -- This was one of the Pike novels I didn't read the first time around, but the covers of the ones I did own take me back to the 90s as well. =)

I think I donated all my old Pikes and R.L. Stines to a library. I'm not too sorry, because they weren't big favourites even back then, but I do wish that new or even second-hand copies were easier to find.

Fairday Morrow said...

I hope you find it! After all of the searching you deserve it. If I happen to come across it I will let you know! :)

~Jess

Salome Ellen said...

I'm not a fan of YA horror, but I really love that this pseudonym is the name of the first (pilot) captain of the Starship Enterprise!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Jess -- Thanks! =)

Ellen -- Oh, I hadn't known that! LOL! Perhaps that's why he went with it. Hmmmm. I wonder how many of his readers have picked up on it . . .