01 March 2012

+JMJ+

Theme Thursday 4


It's been so long since I did a meme that I can't think of a proper introduction! So let me just say that this book is what I started and finished this week and that I'm really pleased that it turned out to be such a great fit for the current theme.

Oh, I should also mention that there will be a new Locus Focus post this Saturday! =P

This Week's Theme:
Name


Stanley's father was also named Stanley Yelnats. Stanley's father's full name was Stanley Yelnats III. Our Stanely is Stanley Yelnats IV.

Everyone in his family had always liked the fact that "Stanley Yelnats" was spelled the same way frontward and backward. So they kept naming their sons Stanley. Stanley was an only child, as was every other Stanley Yelnats before him.

Kavyen's instruction was to share "the first name you come across while reading"--and I've certainly done that. The first name in the text is indeed Stanley Yelnats, although the snippet I've picked is not the first time his name is written.

Names are a great thing to notice in a novel. Many authors try to make their characters' names as meaningful as possible, and in the print medium, names are meant to have the sort of instant impact a face or a voice would have in other media. (Or you know, in real life.) Holes is a particularly good novel for names. Stanley isn't the only one with a fun--or funny--name. The story is set partly in a camp for delinquent boys who give each other slightly insulting (and for the reader, slightly symbolic) nicknames.

And all this is not just Sachar having a bit of fun. It's serious business, too. (But who ever said that serious business couldn't be fun?) Names matter very much in this story . . . but I dare spoil no more! =P

Image Source: Holes by Louis Sachar

6 comments:

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

This book sounds intriguing...and I like the playing around with the name in your snippet.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Megan said...

That is such an awesome quote. I remember reading this book back in JR high.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Laurel -- Palindromes can be so much fun!

Megan -- It's a really fun story, isn't it? Sachar has great comedic tone. =)

Landslide said...

Very funny snippet!
Thanks for visiting.

kavyen said...

I love love your snippet.. it has a an interesting name (With the spelling backwards ) and I loved that you gave an explanation with your thoughts on the theme. Can it get any better than this? I think not..

Have an great weekend!!!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Landslide -- You're welcome. Thanks for returning the visit. =)

Kavyen -- I'm glad you appreciated the explanation. Sometimes I do worry I'm being too much of an English lecturer and boring everone else! =P