28 September 2011

+JMJ+

Poems Both Greasy and Graceful


Those who have been checking this blog faithfully (because you're awesome like that) know that this post wasn't here last Wednesday.

What happened was that I actually looked at the calendar and realised that I wouldn't have a 35 September to fall back on if I didn't start posting the poems I promised this week. =P

Besides, it just came to my attention that I now owe three four poems!

Keep checking back as I post them one by one . . . UPDATE: Bat's poem is done! Two more to go . . . UPDATE: So is Stilwell's! (Sort of!) One more to go . . . UPDATE: And it only took over a year, but now I'm done with Antiaphrodite's too! =)


For Bat
Word: Grease
Question: Might she introduce me to that mysterious bright-eyed damsel by her side?

Grease the wheels of your romance, you ask?
Play cupid for another dear friend?
She already knows how the story will end . . .

Always the maker, never the match.
Always the batter, never the catch.
Always the serenade, never the ear.
Always the foam, never the beer.
Always the shooting star, never the wish.
Always the sinker, never the fish.
Always the wizard, never the spell.
Always the bucket, never the well.
Always the goblet, never the wine.
Always the prayer, never the sign.
Always the oyster, never the pearl.
Always the buddy, never the girl.

Grease the wheels of your romance, she will.
Always trust a romantic at heart.
She always knows how the story will start . . .

For Dauvit
Word: Grace
Question: Did you get very far?

Grace goes no distance, makes no time,
does not race with speed.
Grace is arriving when you should,
being where you said you would,
receiving what you need.

For Stilwell
Word: Grease UPDATE: Grace (I'm sorry, Stilwell, but I just couldn't do it with "grease".)
Question: Was it love at first sight?

Had they known you would ask, they'd have paid more attention
To each meeting, appointment, encounter or mention
And now tell a true tale of romantic convention
. . . But love is not planted in times of such tension.

No greater mystery in love than the sowing
Of seeds in good ground and the place of pure knowing
No greater grace than the spring with the growing
. . . But green love is silent and never quite showing.

As the deep, rocky roots of a new world that waited
In light yet unseen, with a name yet unstated
The youth of creation can never be dated
. . . But love's age we presume easily estimated.

For Antiaphrodite
Word: Greece? (LOL!) Grace
Question: Did she put up a fight?

Like Jacob with the Angel in the night,
She thought that Grace would come with the first light;
And later learned, like Noah in the ark,
That sometimes Grace,
Divine Embrace,
Will come disguised as dark:
A secret from our sight.

While I take even more of my precious time keeping my promise, please visit everyone else's blogs, read their poems, and give them some encouraging feedback. =)

16 comments:

antiaphrodite said...

Nyahaha! I do think I said grace! :-D And it's still either Was it love at first sight? or Did she put up a fight? :-)

Belfry Bat said...

Hmmm... in the context of the song, at least, these questions aren't referring to the same thing... but maybe you mean them to? At least, if Antiaphrodite refuses to settle on one, Enbrethiliel may construe them as opposite approaches to the same curiosity. She was so very gracious as to allow my paraphrase, after all!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Antiaphrodite -- Just teasing about the word! ;-) And since Stilwell already picked the first question, you get the second. (Of course, Bat is right to suggest that we often put up a fight when we find love at first sight, but perhaps I shouldn't indulge in romantic poetry at the moment. =P)

Bat -- Your paraphrase gave me such a definite (if strange) visual image, that there was no way I was going to toss it out! Your poem is what I'm working on now. =)

love the girls said...

"I wouldn't have a 35 September"

What's 35 September?

antiaphrodite said...

Just teasing about the word!
I know :-)

perhaps I shouldn't indulge in romantic poetry at the moment. =P

Why not??!

Belfry Bat said...

A 35 September, or 35th September, is about a week after a 28th September. Sometimes they're called "September-the-35th"; indeed, even Gandalf used this weird construction once, so I won't go so far as to call it an uncouth or foul seductor...

Belfry Bat said...

Goodness me, what a list! It would almost sound like a lament... But that's a nice twist at the end.

Cheerio!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Perhaps it is a lament. =P

Whatever it is, it was inspired by "Always a bridesmaid, never a bride."

antiaphrodite said...

Perhaps it is a lament.

I can be so awful at this. I didn't think it could be anything else!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

You're not awful! *hug* It's just that you and I immediately see it from the point of view of the girl who has to make the introductions--and who, as it turns out, gets to do nothing but make introductions--and Bat's original perspective was that of the boy who wanted the introduction to another girl. =P

Belfry Bat said...

As a matter of fact, my perspective was that of one of John Travolta's greasy hoodlums, who was asking him to ask her to ask her, the first "she" having already been swept off her feet (or so it would seem); only, I don't speak the way they do. That's all.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Now I'm struggling to imagine you as a greasy hoodlum . . .

antiaphrodite said...

Well, it's still pretty slow of me. *hugs*

Paul Stilwell said...

That is a beautiful poem, E. And even with this darn cold I'm enchanted by it.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I'm so glad you like it. =)

Paul Stilwell said...

And now that I know it was inspired by Yavanna it of course unfolds in a whole new way, transfiguring the first reading.

The lavish blessings of the One upon you.