14 September 2011

+JMJ+

Grace is the Word


See what I did there, Frankie Valli?

Regular readers of Shredded Cheddar know that updates have been a bit slow lately. I'm sorry about that and will try to resume regular posting soon. I'm especially sorry to those who were looking forward to a September round of Word & Question.

Let me try to make some lemonade out of this with a Grace/Grease Month . . .



We've been playing for over a year now--enough time for several players to receive prompts and fail to pay up with poems. =P

Not that I'm upset or anything. (Really!) W&Q is a game, after all, and if some prompts get cast onto the waters without coming back buttered and blogged, it's not a big deal.

But I know that if I owed a poem--which is somehow a more serious matter in the universe than merely owing money--I would love a chance to pay my dues without being too embarrassed. And what better way to give Those Who Know Who They Are this little gift than by creating a situation in which my own embarrassment is guaranteed to outweigh that of everyone else?

Here's my deal . . .

If you will finally publish and post a link to your poem, I will write my own special poem just for you, using the word "Grease" and the question of your choice from the selections below . . .



Did you get very far?

Did he have a car?

Was it love at first sight?

Did she put up a fight?

How much dough did he spend?

Could she get me her friend?


Yes, I am prepared to write several "grease" poems . . . and a "grace" poem as well, if you prefer the pun.

Note that this offer is only open to those W&Q players who do owe poems--and it's limited to the month of September 2011. Yes, it seems weird to reward their lateness with this special offer, but I've always been weird and you're clearly just catching up.

12 comments:

Belfry Bat said...

Ah, well, hmm... here we are, then:

a short verse

Belfry Bat said...

oh! you wanted me to choose a question?

erm... I think I'll paraphrase a little and ask "Might she introduce me to that mysterious bright-eyed damsel by her side?"

Salome Ellen said...

Great idea! I hope all is well with you.... Busy I understand. ;-)

Dauvit Balfour said...

Here is my own belated offering. I've actually had it written for almost a month, but not had the inclination to post it, partly 'cause I don't think it's very good.

For a reward, though, I'll post anytime. I'm curious what you would do with "Grace" (because I love Grace and didn't much care for Grease) along with the question "Did you get very far?"

lisa :) said...

I'm still not brave enough to join the poetry creation station, but I do love reading your offerings.

And I apologize for being rather out of touch lately too, but I did read and LOVE Candy Gourlay's Tall Story. I raved a bit about it - and your blog - over on Her Book Self today. Thanks again for introducing me to such a lovely work!

antiaphrodite said...

I'm curious to see how you would answer to either Was it love at first sight? or Did she put up a fight? I must persist for grace, though :-)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Bat -- Yay! I'll work on your poem, soon. A very definite visual image popped into my head when I read your question.

Ellen -- All is well! I'm just awfully busy offline. But I'm definitely committed to October's W&Q game. =)

Dauvit -- And now there are two of you! Your combination of prompts is inspiring a different sort of poem from Bat's. I trust I have until the end of this month to refine both of them? ;-)

Lisa -- Thanks for the link and your kind words! I'm so glad to hear you liked Tall Story. It has been both frustrating and oddly restful to have been offline during most of Book Blogger Appreciation Week, but I hope to have a new Locus Focus post (at least!!!) for this Saturday.

Antiaphrodite -- Unfortunately, I'm only answering questions for the poem people! =P But if you happen to have an old poem that you didn't post and that I forgot about, well . . .

antiaphrodite said...

I most definitely am a poem person!! I owe an entry from (winces) last year!!

vvb32 reads said...

whew! i thought i missed the prompts submission for september. ahhh, a reprieve. i'll sit back this month and watch your grease video tunes as you come up with grease/grace poems - go greased lightning.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

LOL! Things will definitely speed up again in October. I'll send you an e-mail when the call for prompts goes up. =)

cyurkanin said...

After all these years, I'm still head over heels in love with Olivia Newton John...

antiaphrodite said...

Word: adorned
Question: Who do we owe "looking pretty" to?




There is much that I owe.


To the many have gone before
Who, before their departing
Adorned on me their kindness well
Though so deep my failures went;
And those that wait for me can tell
What a blight I have been since then


But--looking pretty! Looking pretty!
Oh yes, for my deficiency in that regard
Which has brought the beasts together
And made the hags suffer to stand
Next to those that made them cursed
For that, at least, the demand will be met


And now, even as I draw near
Those that wait anticipate my approach
By all of them that have come for the feast
And upon me will indulge their appetites
All of them look toward the waiting dread
So ready to be gorged


But my accounts will be settled
Of that I have no fear
What remains of me that isn't ugly
I've already surrendered
-- Safely bequeathed; and now --
All else is ready to be lost