17 August 2011

+JMJ+

A Word to Chill and a Question to Thrill


You'd think someone with pretensions to Horror blogger status would be really inspired by the "Thrills and Chills" theme that gave us an extra challenge this month . . . but I was mostly intimidated. =P

I might watch a lot of Horror movies, but I could never write a script for one of them. And I definitely get spooked on a dime, but none of my scary stories seem to have the same effect on others.

Let's see what effect this poem has on you . . .

Word: Ghost
Question: How will this weigh against the light of those eyes?

When Esther was born, her eyes were pale blue.
They could see spirits, but nobody knew.

One too many tragedies turned them dark grey.
What ghosts they had greeted, she would not say.

A fire took her vision and blanched her eyes white.
It seemed she could see best when walking at night.

We welcomed the news that they had been sealed.
Then she was buried, her secrets concealed.

But sometimes I see her at night by our bed.
She holds scales and a sword and her eyes are bright red.

And now you might be asking: "Who's Esther?"

I'll be darned if I know! =P

Her name came to me one night, right before I fell asleep, my own eyes (brown) staring into nothing but the darkness of my bedroom.

But right now, by the harsh light of this computer screen, I'm not sure if I answered the question. You can see that "eyes" is practically my word prompt rather than part of the question prompt.

In case you haven't done so already, visit Vvb32's blog for more August poetry: Word and Question: gloved.

10 comments:

vvb32 reads said...

mmm, i like it. love how there is a mystery about esther before and after.

Jenny said...

Wow, I really like it. And I'm not just being nice. I'm not a huge fan of poetry because it's often to confusing to be deep. Does that make sense? Or maybe I'm just stupid. Either way, I really like this one, it's creepy and mysterious and makes me wish it was a book. I want more.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Vvb32 -- I'm kind of hoping I could make a whole story out of this--if only to solve the mystery for myself! =P

Jenny -- Thanks so much! =) I wish this was a book, too. LOL!

I wasn't a huge fan of poetry, either, until I found a poet I really, really liked. He's not one of the greats--far from it, actually--but he really speaks to me. I could read G.K. Chesterton's poetry all day and not get tired of it. (Yes, he has written some duds, too, the sort that are exactly "too confusing to be deep," but I'm a fan of his style and think I know his "speech patterns" well, so I can get him even when I don't get him. Does that make sense? ;-) LOL!)

CHE said...

I love this. Esther is a very powerful character though she inhabits so few words.
I had no idea about G.K.Chesterton's poetry. I always thought of him only in relation to Father Brown.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thank you, CHE! I love the way you describe Esther.

PS--I've read so much Chesterton over the years that it's almost a shame I don't have a graduate degree to show for it. =P His most famous poem is Lepanto, which is about the Battle of Lepanto, followed by the epic Ballad of the White Horse; but my absolute favourite is The Last Hero. =)

Salome Ellen said...

Personally, I want to know about the scales and the sword! And I think you did a fine job with your prompts. (I didn't realize until I was typing that scales = weigh! :-o) Succinct and powerful.

Lesa said...

Oooo-- I like it. Just the right amount of creepy-- reminds me of some of the Victorian ghost stories I read recently. Subtle can be much creepier than blatant, you know-- it preys longer on the mind. (my mind anyway)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Ellen -- Thank you! To be perfectly candid, I think my subconscious put the "scales" in for me. =P

Lesa -- I agree that a creepy atmosphere (with just the right drizzling of detail) can be more powerful than any shocking scare. So I'm glad you found this poem worthily creepy! =) Thanks!

mrsdarwin said...

E, you have a career as an author looming ahead of you...

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

You may be on to something, Mrs. D! ;-)