02 August 2011

+JMJ+

Two for the Price of One

On this Two-fer Tuesday, I give you not just two memes in one post, but two memes about one book. I love the economy of it all.


May I draw your attention to the labels/tabs for this post. Middle Grade Author Andrew Clements now has a tab of his own although I've read only one of his books and own only two, because I've still managed to write about three of them on this blog in less than a week. How about that?

Now behold the third Clements book . . .

First Lines:
Greg Kenton had heaps of talent. He was good at baseball and even better at soccer. He had a clear singing voice, and he also played the piano. He was a whiz at drawing and sketching, and he did well at school--reading, science, music, writing, art, math, gym, social studies--the whole deal. But as good as he was at all these things, Greg's greatest talent had always been money.

I bought this because I'm fascinated by children and money. No, not the darkness of "There must be more money" in the D.H. Lawrence story for adults, but the lightness of a sidewalk lemonade stand, which only innocence can get away with.

Has anyone already read this? If so, what do you think of it? Any thoughts on Andrew Clements in general?

More importantly to my book-greedy self: Can you recommend any other books about children and money???


It figured that there would be a BBB connection, aye? =P

I hadn't planned on joining this week . . . but then I remembered that I got Lunch Money at a bargain price. Yes, that's right: I saved money while spending money to buy a book about making money. And that's how a single item purchase can be a Bargain Book Bonanza all on its own!

Besides, Clements has the best cover art . . . and I couldn't resist taking another picture of my vain, silly self . . .

You can always tell when I had no choice but to take the photo by myself . . .
Gee, the lady at the Clinique counter wasn't kidding when she said
I needed that jar of under eye cream. =/


They should have something like this on America's Next Top Model. I mean, something exactly like this. Are you reading this, Tyra Banks? Think of how much you could do for literacy in America!!!

Image Source: Lunch Money by Andrew Clements

7 comments:

Misty said...

I've never read anything by Clements, but I know he's really popular. I think I might even have something by him, hiding in my shelves somewhere...
:)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I'm not surprised to hear Clements is popular! I have some theories about why, but they'll have to wait until I've read more of his books . . . starting with this one! =P

Jenny said...

LOL, you look fine in the pic. I can't think of any books right now but if I do I'll let you know.

Leslie said...

Hahaha, that's a cute pic!
I have not read it, but my 10 yr old received this book as prize for reading books at school. He flipped thru it but hasn't read it.
Not sure how it is, but I thought I'd give it a go.
Great BBB!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Jenny -- Thanks! =)

Leslie -- Clements' cover art makes me want to do something like this every time I get a new book by him! And please let me know what you think of Lunch Money when you finally read it.

Lesa said...

heehee--spending money to save money while buying a book about making money.

Ooo, very good self pic-- I take self pics all the time so I know how tricky it can be to get a good one.

Don't know this author's books but the cover is cute. My little boy asks for a lemonade stand but there are no customers out in the woods.

Thanks for joining in this week.

:o)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

It must have taken me a score of tries (and then some) to get this picture . . . and I would have kept going had I not decided that it was as good as I was going to look (Ha!) and that it was time to call it a night. =P

Well, maybe not a lemonade stand for your son . . . but I wonder what great idea he'll come up with that will make up for it!