28 July 2011

+JMJ+

Theme Thursday 3


There are a couple of weekly link ups I like to join because they turn the spotlight on books I own but haven't read yet. I think those books are as much a part of my library as those I've reread so much that I have whole paragraphs burned into memory.

This will be the first time, however, that I will be featuring a book I don't even own. I haven't borrowed it or even held a copy in my hands--and I didn't even know what the cover looked like until I had to find an image for today's post. The first three chapters were excerpted at the end of my current read, and it is from them that I find the passage that most wonderfully matches this Thursday's theme . . .


This Week's Theme:
Action


Was it hard for him to keep quiet? You bet, especially at first, like when he got to the bus stop and his friends were arguing about how the Jets had lost to the Patriots. But Dave had learned quickly that by nodding and smiling, by frowning and shrugging, by shaking his head, by giving a thumbs-up or a high-five, or even by just putting his hands in his coat pockets and turning away, not talking was possible. And by the time he'd ridden the bus to school, Dave had gotten pretty good at fitting in without speaking up.

Is anyone else pleased at the fact that a book with the title No Talking has such a great paragraph about action being able to outwit speech? Gestures are not just "louder" than words, but are often also more clever.

Image Source: No Talking by Andrew Clements

12 comments:

fredamans said...

Great snippet.

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2011/07/theme-thursdays-any-action.html

lisa :) said...

That's such an interesting perspective! When I read "Action" as your theme my mind immediately jumped to epic battles, chases, or explosions, but you really showed that subtle action can be even more powerful.

The Book Gatherer said...

What a fabulous snippet - how perfect is that for today's theme!! And yes, amazing how much can be said without talking!!

http://thebookgatherer.blogspot.com/2011/07/theme-thursday_28.html

"Confuzzled" Shannon said...

I haven't read any of Clements books but wondered about this one. Are you enjoying it?

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Freda -- Thanks!

Lisa -- I've visited a bunch of other participating blogs, and it's interesting to see what "Action" is to be found in books that aren't normally associated with that kind of pulse-pounding activity! =)

Book Gatherer -- Dave is supposed to be a real chatterbox, so it's impressive that none of his friends noticed his strange silence at the bus stop. I wonder how many of us could pull off the same stunt and surprise the people we see every day when we point out that we spent all of one day with them not saying a word!

Shannon -- I'm afraid I've only read the three chapters of No Talking that are excerpted at the end of the one Clements book I do own: Room One. If you're wondering about that one, though, I can help you out! =)

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Wow, lots of action words! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

It's not just packed with action words, but also a mini-story in itself! =) The minute I saw our latest theme, I knew that this was the passage for my snippet.

Gigi Ann said...

That has a lot of great action words in it.

My granddaughter is a reader, and I send her some of Andrew Clements books to read. I have one waiting on my bookshelf now, that I want to read.

Thanks for visiting me today.

Cat said...

I'm loving all the different kinds of action I'm seeing today.

Great choice for this week!

Bev Hankins said...

Wonder why he needs to keep quiet? Great choice!

Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/07/theme-thursday-any-action.html

RYCJ OEBooks Publisher said...

...Nice Blog! Now I can't figure out why I've haven't been by here before;-) I certainly will be back... Nobody makes me burst out laughing that many times, plus hits me over the head with a mallet I needed, and I won't make it my top on my priority list to be back;-)!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Gigi Ann -- I have another Clements book on my shelf, too, which I'll be featuring on TBR Tuesday in a few days! Which title do you have?

Clements is a fun writer with a gentle sense of humour. I'm sure your granddaughter is enjoying the books you sent her. =)

Cat -- The variety has been interesting. Thanks for visiting!

Bev -- It has to do with having read up on Mahatma Ghandi for History class. I'm saying no more! =P

RYCJ -- The stars never aligned for us before? ;-) The fault is partly mine: I've been to your blog once or twice before, but always neglected to leave a comment. (Mea culpa!) I do enjoy our interactions on the Book Blogs forum, though. =) Thanks for your kind words!