25 July 2011

+JMJ+

Mail and More: It's Monday!


When I picked up my latest book packages at the post office, I suddenly fancied buying a map of the world, putting it up on a cork board, and using push pins to mark all the places I've ever received mail from.

No fear: I wouldn't blog it or make the senders' locations public in any way (no matter how vaguely). I just thought it would be interesting to see all the places I've never been to--some of which I had never heard of before I started blogging--where my name and address were, for a few fleeting moments, written by one person and read by at least one other.

Here are my two latest books, both shipped from the Western Hemisphere (I trust that's vague enough? LOL!) . . .


Thanks to Vvb32 of vvb32 reads for an autographed copy of Between Two Ends by David Mead.

And thanks to Alexandra of The Publication Follies of Alexandra Shostak for a copy of The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney.

Both books look great, smell great, and feel like happiness on my finger tips! =)

Where there are new new books,
there are often new old books.
Let's keep reading!


While nothing beats the smell and feel of a new new book, I'm not going to argue with the price of a new old book. Sometimes it's just more practical to buy books used: especially when they're a fifth of the price they would be if I had got them new. And in the case of the original editions of The Baby-Sitters Club books that I've belatedly started collecting, sometimes they're impossible to get new.

Here are the three books I bought in the past two weeks . . .

(Only three, you ask?
I'm the underachiever of BBB!)


After I had lined them up (in a clumsy matter of speaking) for the photo, I noticed something about the titles. See if you can spot it, too:

Anastasia Krupnik by Lois Lowry
Baby-sitters Club #6: Kristy's Big Day by Ann M. Martin
The Curse of the Blue Figurine by John Bellairs

See it yet? I actually noticed it when the books were lined up with The Curse of the Blue Figurine in the middle and BSC #6: Kristy's Big Day at the end, so I switched them for the final photo.

Well, ready or not, here's your answer . . .

Anastasia Krupnik by Lois Lowry
Baby-sitters Club #6: Kristy's Big Day by Ann M. Martin
The Curse of the Blue Figurine by John Bellairs

They're A-B-C books! =D
Happy serendipity!

Some of you might remember that I'd been having trouble finding Kristy's Big Day and that my BSC Reading Project languished accordingly. Well, now that I own it and have finally finished it, you can expect a review later this week!

12 comments:

BookJunkie said...

The Babysitter's Club! So much fun! Make sure you stop by Fuzzy.Coffee.Books and enter in my giveaway! Then maybe you can get some mail from TX!
Courtney

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks for the invitation! Don't be surprised if I take you up on it. ;-)

Shirley said...

I like that "feel like happiness on my fingertips". Terrific phrase. Enjoy your new books from the western hemisphere.

Risa said...

Aha! I guessed it right!!:D

I haven't heard of any of the books you've mentioned save the Babysitter's Club. Iron Witch sounds intriguing!

Here's wishing you some happy hours of reading!!:D

Jenny said...

Yeah, I told you I was a moron. I don't see it. :( I loved the Babysitter Club books when I was a kid. My mom gave me crap about it after I wouldn't touch anything else for awhile and I still, to this day, tell her I learned all about the art of reverse psychology from one of them. ;) The Curse of the Blue Figurine looks like something I would have liked as a kid too.

lisa :) said...

Iron Witch has been on my radar for a while, I'm curious to hear what you think of it!

And I'm sure I've read the Bellairs one when I was younger but I don't really remember it. Lowry was always a favorite too! I think my mom gave all my old Babysitter's Club books to a charity shop when I went to college, but I should scour her house to see if any of them got left behind. I'd love to pass them along to a collector!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Shirley -- Thanks! =)

Risa -- Yay! =D

Jenny -- I think I noticed because making "alphabet lists" is a favourite hobby of mine. =P And yes, there's so much useful stuff to be learned from the Baby-sitters Club books! Was there ever any doubt? ;-)

Lisa -- John Bellairs wrote a lot of Gothic mysteries for boys in the 70s and 80s. I'm just getting into him now, but I wouldn't be surprised if I read one of his books and realised that I was rereading something I liked and then forgot years and years ago.

I hope to get to The Iron Witch soon, too! =)

Lesa said...

Thanks for joining BBB!
And you aren't underachieving-- you are just pacing yourself!

Iron Witch does sound intriguig and familiar-- I may have seen it at the library.

What a coinkydink that we both have a Lowry book in our BBB this week! I haven't heard of Anastasia-- Have you read other Lowry books other than the Giver?

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I've also read Number the Stars, Lowry's other Newbery Award winning novel, which is another serious one. That's why I'm really looking forward to her lighter writings. =)

Kristin said...

You have a nice list of books in your mailbox this week. Iron Witch looks like a good book.
Happy Reading,
Book Sniffers Anonymous

Laurie said...

Oh, how many times I've considered creating a google-map of the settings for all the books I've read. I created one for a month, including connections to places related to the books and people/places from whence the actual copies came. I swiftly realized that I would have to make one per month to keep them from getting wildly cluttered. That's my long-winded way of applauding your instincts but advising against it! ;-) On the flip side, and as I rarely take my own advice, I've been seriously researching how to get my whole World Lit. class to create one together as we read this year...
Lois Lowry: always fab.
And all those middle-reader books look like so much fun (quick flash of book envy there)...

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Kristin -- Thanks for stopping by. =)

Laurie -- Do you want them to draw the map, too, so it's as big as possible, or will you be starting with a map from the store? I think one big map for all the books of the year would be okay. (All the books in a voracious reader's month? Probably not! LOL!) Coincidentally, World Lit was the subject I taught, too; and if I were still teaching full time, I'd love to get my students involved in such a project as well. =)

Good luck with this!