01 July 2011

+JMJ+

Faerie Tale Theatre Production Smackdown, Round 4
(Revisit Round 1, Round 2, Round 3A and Round 3B)

There were moments when I thought we'd never make it to this point . . . but here we are! =D

vs.
The Princess and the Pea vs. The Snow Queen

Over three exciting and intense rounds--for that is exactly how they seemed to me--The Princess and the Pea managed to take down Thumbelina (which might be short, but is also scrappy!), The Tale of the Frog Prince (which has Robin Williams at the peak of his game!), and the wildcard contender Goldilocks and the Three Bears (which I daresay is actually the better of the two--ROFL!). Finalists don't come as formidable as this!

As for The Snow Queen, it stormed through the smackdown, soundly thrashing Hansel and Gretel (and its real child actors!), The Pied Piper of Hamelin (and its clever rhymes!) and even wildcard entry Jack and the Beanstalk (and its special visual effects!). That's certainly nothing to sneeze at!

The time has come to settle this once and for all, for the sake of a happily ever after.

But before you do, one last wildcard . . . ;-)



. . . just to keep things interesting! =P

Pinocchio, based on a novel by Carlo Collodi, strains the definition of "faerie tale" so much that I didn't even consider it for the original bracket for Round 1. And yet someone whose taste I respect claims it is her favourite Faerie Tale Theatre episode ever! (Hi, Syrin!)

Now, I have nothing against the episode itself or the decision to produce it; I just had to be ruthless in whittling the twenty-eight possible contenders down to sixteen. And so Pinocchio went immediately--and based-on-a-satirical-short-story Rip Van Winkle almost did, too.

But because I like complicating things for everyone (including, unfortunately, myself), I'm bringing Pinocchio back for one last chance. The link above will take you to the first part of this episode on YouTube, which you can watch a bit of before you vote.

Remember that a vote in this smackdown counts as an entry in the June Giveaway. I'll be announcing the smackdown winner and the giveaway winner in the same post next week!

Image Sources: a) The Princess and the Pea DVD, b) The Snow Queen DVD, c) Pinocchio DVD

17 comments:

Sullivan McPig said...

I'll have to vote for the Snow Queen!
My grandmother was one of the ravens in a play of the Snow Queen in school.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I'm still voting for The Princess and the Pea!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks, Sully and Melissa! =)

antiaphrodite said...

I'm going for the one I had a dream about--The Princess and The Pea!

Katie said...

Thanks for commenting on my Old School review last weekend! I have to admit, I did think of you when I realized it was about the single mom issue, since we'd just had that discussion. ;-)

I have read Dear Mr. Henshaw, but never as an adult. It's actually one I've been thinking of re-visiting, because I don't remember much about it at all. (I must have been 9 or 10 when I read it.) I am kind of curious to see how Cleary handles issues like divorce.

Syrin said...

Well, obviously I am going to vote for Pinocchio! :) I doubt he has much of a chance, and I can understand why you had originally not included him, but what can I say, the episode made me ridiculously happy when I watched it.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Katie -- Most people I know seem to think of me whenever single motherhood comes up in books. I wonder why . . . ;-)

I have lots of Beverly Cleary books (both read and unread) in my collection that I'd like to go through soon. One of those purposeful rereads, you know? If the stars/books align for us, then we'll also get to compare notes. =)

Syrin -- I thought of making this pointless yet touching tribute to Pinocchio after The Mike made a Top 5-ish list of movies that didn't make his Best Horror Movies of the 80s list. Some stuff deserves any sort of acknowledgment, however imperfect.

This Pinocchio is also a casting coup worthy to stand alongside Liza Minelli and The Princess and the Pea. I can't imagine any other actor more suited to the role of the boy puppet than Paul Reubens.

Thanks for voting!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Antiaphrodite -- OMG!!! You must tell me about that dream!!!

Jillian said...

Ohhhh The Princess and the Pea for sure!! It's such a silly "love story" tale, but whatever!

Lauren B said...

It's been ages since I've seen any of these classics. Ah, the good old days.
Thanks for stopping by - I completely agree with you about Elvis and the Hound Dog, lol!
Have a good weekend.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Jillian -- Thanks! =D

Lauren -- Those were the good old days, indeed! Thanks for returning the visit. =)

antiaphrodite said...

Well, I'm afraid this is going to be a disappointment. It was pretty much just about more than twenty mattresses, me feeling the pea, and failing the test. They determined I couldn't possibly be a princess, and declared the test null, or something. Considering the prince, though, I can't blame them for looking for someone better!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Declared the test null?!?!? What kind of faerie tale royals do that??? Dream it again, call me into the dream (a la Dream Warriors or The Dream Master--LOL!) and I'll make your case!

antiaphrodite said...

LOL! Thanks so much! Hey, if any of your dreams get weird, call me in, and I'll make them even weirder :-D

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Sweetie, don't take this the wrong way, but my dreams are weird enough without you helping me out. ;-)

Lesa said...

Princess and the Pea!

sugarpeach said...

Princess and the Pea all the way! :)