12 July 2011

+JMJ+

(Another) Two-Meme Tuesday



The following two lines are taken from a book I already "reviewed" (or rather just described) on this blog. It also has its own TBR Tuesday post that tells the story of how I found it. And although it didn't deliver that non-fiction Locus Focus post I promised in June . . . I have a feeling I'll be writing about another of its locations in the future. Yes, I'm still reading it--and yes, it's that good.

Jose Goicochea did not reach the gates of the [Philippine General Hospital].

Here, he too, fell, this Spaniard whom fate had stranded on Philippine earth,
whether from a Japanese bullet or a piece of American shrapnel,
no one could tell.


So much history--and elegeic commentary--are in those two lines. (And if you arrange them so that "fell" and "tell" look more prominent, you'll have some startlingly evocative "found poetry" as well.)

There are other short passages I've marked throughout the text, but if I had to pick two to be the "legs" on which this book is to stride through the world, it would be those quoted above.


Now for a book I haven't read yet, but which I consider as much a part of my library as the books I've known for years.

All a book has to do to start changing everything is to win a place on your proverbial shelf. You'd have to read it--and reread it--for the full effect, of course; but the change begins so much earlier.

Two writers.
Seven unique stories.
One great love for telling tales about the Philippines.

I bought this to read last month, planning to add it to the June Giveaway pool. I'm not sure why I didn't get around to it in time. I mean, could you resist a short story with the title The Monkey and the Scientist?

What I think happened is that the N.V.M. Gonzales novel which I bought at the same time, decided to read first, and turned out to be such a bust, dragged this collection down with it. (Don't you hate it when that happens?)

As you can see, I'm still slightly hung-over from "Philippine Literature Month". (Maybe more than slightly?) I'm not sure when I'll be able to resume blogging as if I belong everywhere, anywhere and nowhere, but it certainly has been nice to blog as if I belonged somewhere.

Image Sources: a) By Sword and Fire: The Destruction of Manila in World War II by Alfonso J. Aluit, b) Cuentos Hispanosfilipinos by Edmundo Farolan and Paula Constancia

9 comments:

LibrarySnake said...

They sound really interesting.

Here's mine:
http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/07/teaser-tuesdays_12.html

SusanB-knits said...

Interesting teasers. I think I'd be more apt to read the first one.

Jennifer said...

I am definitely adding these two books.
My TT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/07/teaser-tuesdays-my-book-teaser-is-from-in-her-wake.html

Dawn Marie said...

the first teaser sounds very interesting. Thank you for dropping by, and I have not read any from Sandra Brown before, but this book is really good and I'm glad to have started it.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks, everyone, for dropping by. =)

Misty said...

"blogging as if I belong everywhere, anywhere and nowhere"
I like that.
:)

Lisa-Marie Jordan said...

Wow, that first teaser sounds really interesting. I'm not much into non-fiction, but I might be putting this one on my tbr list! Thanks for stopping by today! Cheers!

Maria said...

Nice teasers!

http://fantasysink.blogspot.com/2011/07/teaser-tuesday-9.html

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Misty -- Thanks!

Lisa-Marie -- It's nice to see you here. =)

Maria -- Your comment was not left in vain. I shall check out your teaser as well.