06 May 2011

+JMJ+

Faerie Tale Theatre Production Smackdown, Round 2
(Revisit Round 1)

Let's begin with the results of the last round, which I know you've all been waiting for . . .

Rapunzel vs. Rumpelstiltskin --> WINNER: Rapunzel

Cinderella vs. Sleeping Beauty --> WINNER: Sleeping Beauty

The Princess and the Pea vs. Thumbelina --> WINNER: The Princess and the Pea

Little Red Riding Hood vs. The Tale of the Frog Prince --> WINNER: The Tale of the Frog Prince

Hansel and Gretel vs. The Snow Queen --> WINNER: The Snow Queen

The Boy Who Left Home to Find Out about the Shivers vs. The Princess Who Had Never Laughed --> WINNER: The Boy Who Left Home to Find Out about the Shivers

The Pied Piper of Hamelin vs. Rip Van Winkle --> WINNER: The Pied Piper of Hamelin

Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp vs. The Nightingale --> WINNER: Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp

Thanks again for your votes! I really love it when Shredded Cheddar gets interactive. That's why although I'm taking control of Round 2 away from you, I include one of those mini face-offs at the end of this post for anyone who still wants to vote for a great faerie tale production. =)

Round 2
The Aladdin Eight

Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp vs. The Boy Who Left Home to Find Out about the Shivers

Let's open Round 2 with two brave boys, who remind us that faerie tales aren't as princess-centric as they often seem! One of them finds a genie who grants wishes and the other finds out what it means to be afraid. And if you don't mind my getting a tad spoilerish, let me share my amusement that a beautiful princess is one's greatest wish and the other's greatest fear.


Winner: The Boy Who Left Home to Find Out about the Shivers--because Shredded Cheddar is occasionally a Horror blog, and I personally believe that wishes aren't half as good for the character as shivers.


The Princess and the Pea vs. The Tale of the Frog Prince

Now back to some princess stories! This pairing amuses me because I had to deal with it last year in a Faerie Tale Face Off. That time around, The Frog Prince emerged victorious because it gave us more character development from its princess and more involvement from its prince. But now that both have been adapted for "TV theatre," which demands acts and scenes of its plot, they reenter the ring more equally matched.

Winner: The Princess and the Pea--because getting conflict from a princess and a frog is just too easy, but who would have guessed there was such comedy, romance and even suspense from a princess challenged by a pea?


The Pied Piper of Hamelin vs. The Snow Queen

What both stories have in common is the taking of children. In the first, the citizens of Hamelin learn the hard way what happens when you don't keep your promises; in the second, a mysterious woman steals away a young boy from the girl who is his closest friend.

Winner: The Snow Queen--because the occasional bittersweet faerie tale is great for the story diet, but it's really the happy endings we're in the genre for.


Rapunzel vs. Sleeping Beauty

Let's stop fighting it: faerie tales just feel more complete when they have princesses in them. And that's not just my "Disney Baby" conditioning talking! (On the other hand, it might be my inborn girlishness.) Our last two faerie tales in the Aladdin Eight feature the archetypal princess in the tower: one is trapped because she cannot climb down; the other is in an enchanted sleep only the kiss of true love can break.

Winner: Sleeping Beauty--because we should never underestimate either the romance of a simple kiss or the power of true love.

*****

And now for a mini face-off which might lead to another wild card entry later in the smackdown . . .

vs.
Goldilocks and the Three Bears vs. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Two lovely girls have cause to be wandering in the woods. One finds a charming little house where some things are too cold, some things are too hot, but other things are just right. The other finds a cottage which is home to seven little men. You know, if Goldilocks could have just been nicer to the bears and if Snow White's stepmother had not been so set on vengeance, both these stories could have ended both happily and rustically. But which one gets your vote?

(For those who haven't watched these episodes or who aren't familiar with the show at all, please know that I let you vote for the story you like best or the cast you love most!)

***

This is a submission to the Friday is for Fairy Tales weekly link up at This Miss Loves to Read. Pay Irena a visit and read about Graciosa and Percinet.


Image Sources: a) Goldilocks and the Three Bears DVD, b) Snow White DVD

19 comments:

Syrin said...

Hm... I think I'll pick Goldilocks, more so for the cast than the story.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Go Tatum O'Neal! ;-)

Sullivan McPig said...

I have to chose between John Lithgow and Vincent Price?! That's so cruel!!
Ehm... ok: Goldilocks!

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read said...

Thank you for your post!

Goldilocks sounds like great fun! I mean, I like the story anyway, and I'd love to see it acted out.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Sully -- Well, now that you put it that way . . . Bad me! ;-)

Irena -- You're very welcome. Thanks for hosting the meme! =)

Darwin said...

What a choice! But I'm going to have to go with Vanessa Redgrave and Vincent Price in Snow White.

mrsdarwin said...

And you know the above was me. :)

antiaphrodite said...

A vote for Snow White :-)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Mrs. Darwin -- I would have known, but if you had been concerned about Goldilocks's early lead, you could have voted twice and I would also have kept my mouth shut. ;-)

Antiaphrodite -- Great! Thanks. =)

Avid Reader said...

I'm voting for Goldilocks, because I remember that one.

lisa :) said...

Aww Snap. I can't believe I missed Round 1!!! (Shame on me for not keeping up with your posts!)

I can't even tell you how much I used to *LOVE* Fairy Tale Theatre - and my two favorite episodes? The Princess Who Never Laughed and The Boy Who Left Home to find out about the Shivers! (Maybe I just had a thing for obscure stories but my sister and I swear to this day that if either of us ever got on the show Deal or No Deal our first statement to Howie Mandel would be "My Sister & I loved you as Weiner-Head Waldo!!!")

*Ahem* Back to the matter at hand...

I really like both of these but I have to go with Goldilocks. When I was little I preferred Disney's version of Snow White but there was no animated equivalent of Goldilocks so this was the version that really took the tale from words to screen for me!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Avid Reader -- Thanks for your vote! =)

Lisa -- Back in Round 1, The Princess Who Had Never Laughed got to go head to head with The Boy Who Left Home to Find Out about the Shivers! Which one would you have voted for, had it come down to that for you?

Oh, Howie Mandel . . . Perhaps the most amazing thing about The Princess Who Had Never Laughed was that it made him look really, really cute! =P

Thanks for your vote as well. =)

lisa :) said...

I peeked at the earlier match ups and I really don't know which I would have voted for. I'm pretty torn but I think I would have picked the Princess who Never Laughed. My siblings and I used to love going around trying to get adults to say "Owah Tagoo Siam". :)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

LOL! I remember that! =D

I wonder how the voting would have played out if I had been able to find other Faerie Tale Theatre fans who remember these productions. I know that The Boy Who Left Home to Find Out about the Shivers is a great favourite among fans, so it probably would have won, anyway . . . but I know I would have voted for The Princess Who Had Never Laughed.

Well, I did try to invite the members of a Facebook group I joined . . . but I wasn't allowed to post links. =(

Not that I'm complaining! I invited all my blog friends to cast ballots based on stories or casts alone, didn't I?

And yet . . . I wonder . . .

;-)

Lesa said...

Don't recall these episodes but I will vote for Goldilocks since that was one the stories my mother told me at bedtime-- her version always ended with Goldi jumping out the window and breaking her toe.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Oh, my! What a twist! Was it a way to balance the scales to make up for Goldilocks' having broken so much of the bears' stuff?

(You know, I've never been very easy about the traditional ending in which Goldilocks just gets away with it all.)

Kate said...

I have to go with Snow White on this one. Partly because of Vincent Price (have you seen Witchfinder General? A campy movie with a shockingly uncampy Price?), but mostly because I never found the plot of Goldilocks to be anything special. Actually there isn't really a narrative arc unless you embellish it somewhat, and I didn't grow up with an embellished story. There is no good or bad, just a spoiled girl who does stuff she shouldn't and then runs away when she's caught. There's no retribution, no punishment for the crime. The narrative climax suffers from a lack of satisfying resolution, in my opinion. Snow White has all your classic narrative elements: love, hate, evil, good, and also a strange Marxist undertone :) So yes, I have to go with Snow White on this one.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Luckily for both of us, Kate, I forgot to announce that voting has ended for this face off, so your comment still counts!

You're right about Goldilocks as a story versus Snow White as a story. As I said to Lesa, I never liked the way the former story traditionally ends. There is neither resolution nor character development.

A few years ago, I read an article which suggested endings to tack onto Goldilocks. The woman who wrote it said that she liked ending it with Goldilocks running all the way home, straight into bed, and falling asleep--because it helped her own children fall asleep at bedtime. (LOL!) But she also recommended that parents come up with a new happy ending in which Goldilocks helps the bears clean up their cottage, apologises to them, and even becomes good friends with Baby Bear. Which all helps to improve the story as a story . . . but also doesn't feel right, you know?

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Okay, now voting is closed. I'm sorry to everyone who didn't make it, but you can still choose your favourite between Jack and the Beanstalk and Puss in Boots in my Smackdown Intermission!