18 May 2011

+JMJ+

A Dozen Poems, with Room for More!
(This is now also an entry in the Poem in Your Post Blog Hop--a way to meet other bloggers who love poetry)


Thanks again to Lindsay for being our host for this month! =)

She describes her poem as "more than just a valiant failure"--which reminds me a little of Hilaire Belloc's estimation of the first Crusade as "nothing but an epic" . . . and a lot of my own May poem. =P

I hope she and I aren't setting the trend for everyone else . . .


Word: Weasel
Question: Where to now?

Last year you asked me, "Why not Compostela?"
Why not the place for pilgrims by the sea,
The point of all returns for yester-Europe,
Where Church and State and Oath and Faith
Inspired geography?

And how easy for me
To weasel out of what I knew
My soul had been born to do:
I fought Compostela.

"Home, St. James!" you prayed before beginning:
Before the journey of a thousand years,
An age of ancient faith ever renewing,
Where crown and cross and Wine and Host
Were the mysterious gears.

And how sudden my tears
When we two met the other day:
My soul, your soul on the way.
With no more thought for sinning,
I sought Compostela.

As those who pay attention to numbers have already guessed, "Word & Question" is about to turn a year old! How many poems have you produced since we started playing?

I also have a great idea for June, which I'm assuming hosting duties for. (You can breathe easily for another month, Ellen!) In celebration of the anniversary, I propose a special challenge. For one month only, "Word & Question" shall be . . . "Place & Question"!!! =P

We won't actually be changing the name of the game, but we'll be using the names of places instead of just any words. And yes, this added complication means there will be a giveaway involved! You know I like to do something special every June! ;-)

EDIT: Welcome to all Poem in Your Post hoppers! If you'd like to join "Word & Question" in the future, please read the rules and schedule on this blog's Playing Poetry page. I hope to see you all soon! =)

15 comments:

lisa :) said...

I'm so not creative enough for this meme, but I do love reading your entries. Nice work and happy memeiversary!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks, Lisa! =)

But please don't give me so much credit! What seems like pure creativity is mostly desperation. =P

And if you can relate to that, you'll fit right in!

Jillian said...

So I just sat here with this post on my computer screen, trying to come up with my own poem. I failed.

Salome Ellen said...

Could you hear me sighing with relief? Because I had the question in my head, and then you answered it. (And I'll leave you with the ambiguity of reference in this comment... ;-D )

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Jillian -- Remember that I had over a week to come up with this! Give yourself seven more days before you give up. I'll be glad to read what you come up with. (Seriously! And you're totally welcome to join the June game!)

Ellen -- Well, you sound happy with it, and that's what matters! I can't wait to read yours because you always come up with something delightful. =)

Laurie said...

This is wonderful! How do I get involved for next month?!
(fyi: We just started a Sunday Poetry Hop over at WhatSheRead - join us with your poem?)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Hey, Laurie! =) On the first Wednesday of next month, I'll have a W&Q 13 post up to let everyone know I'm accepting prompts. (I presume you've seen the "Word & Question"/Playing Poetry page that I neglected to link to in this post?)

Thanks for the invitation to your hop. I'll definitely link up this weekend, and edit this post so that it includes a link to yours.

Sidne,the BCR said...

NICE poem. hopping by.

Jo said...

Cool poem! Just stopping by to see what you posted. :)

vvb32 reads said...

And how sudden my tears
When we two met the other day - i like that. it packs with a punch.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Sidne and Jo -- Thanks for hopping by! =)

Vvb32 -- It means a lot to me that this poem worked for you that way. Thanks for reading!

Dauvit Balfour said...

I love the last two stanzas, especially the "age of ancient faith ever renewing." I love the story told here, and the conclusion is splendid.

I'm looking forward to next month with some trepidation. How shall I write about a place I've never been?...Wait, I think I already know the answer to that question. See you on the tubes.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thank you, Dauvit! =) The second part actually gave me the most trouble, and if it weren't for my muse insisting on "Home, St. James" (which is, of course, a play on "Home, James"), I would have considered the word used, the question answered, and the poem finished. =P

And you never know about next month: you might end up getting a place like Rome . . . or Nashville. ;-)

Given the way we players like tripping each other up (I'm thinking of whoever threw the devious "hornswaggle" into the pot!), you might even get Arda or Earthsea! (Or end up back in Cardiff. ROFL!)

J said...

Hmm.. I must say I rather enjoyed the flow, but the part I liked the most (and I don't know if it was intentional or coincidental) is the matching of the last line in the third stanza and the first of the fourth in terms of both rhythm and rhyme. It made the transition of theme, the twist as it were, much more impacting IMO.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks, J. =) It was an intentional matching, as are all the other rhymes.

I'll check out your poem now.