16 May 2011

+JMJ+

Bargain Book Bonanza in My Mailbox


There is something about the "In My Mailbox" meme that makes a stodgy literalist out of me. Although I have new books all the time, I only join this linky party when those new books also come in the mail.

You'd think the fact that I don't have a mailbox would have snapped me out of it a long time ago. (I really don't. Along with the other residents of my building, I get my letters and parcels straight from the receptionist, who sorts them for us when the mail comes in.) But no . . .

Anyway, here is what came in the mail for me last week:




I won this hardcover copy of Across the Universe by Beth Revis and a signed swag pack on Stephanie's blog by answering the following question:

If you were frozen for three hundred years, who is the one person you would like to be frozen with?

I dashed off a quick but honest answer as I filled out the entry form, never thinking (though of course it should have been obvious) that it would be published when Stephanie announced the winners. Had I known it would still be slightly embarrassing five months later, I would have worded it more carefully! =P

Now, there is one sense in which Across the Universe was a real bargain for me: I won it in exchange for answering a question and doing some PR, which is pretty "cheap." But those of you who know your memes already guessed from the title that this is one of my "cross-over" posts, and the one in which "In My Mailbox" gets to meet "Bargain Book Bonanza"!



My favourite blogger among Mrs. Baja's homegirls has not only a great sense of humour, but also a magnificent tolerance for weirdness--and that is why I know she will get a kick out of this week's recycled Bargain Book Bonanza post.

Now, most of the books which are featured on this meme are "recycled" in the sense that they were one person's new new book and another person's new old book, but today I go where no BBB participant has gone before. You see, a "new old book" is usually someone's new bargain, but these ones are for me more of an old bargain. (Dizzy yet? LOL!)

Don't the following books look familiar to you, Lesa? ;-)


Yes, that's right, my friend: you first saw these books in Kathy's tastefully decorated (and charmingly photographed) home, in one of her own Bargain Book Bonanza posts! (My own home isn't half as pretty, which is why all you see of it is the narra wood table in the front hall.)

So you all know how much I love the Baby-sitters Club, right? I told Kathy in my comment that as soon as I saw her photos, I started squinting at her BSC books, trying to make out which titles they were by what I could see of the covers. And although all she had to do was tell me they were #34 (Mary Anne and Too Many Boys), #46 (Mary Anne Misses Logan) and Mystery #10 (Stacey and the Mystery Money), what she did was offer to mail them to me, so that I could find out for myself!!!

Well, how about that? =D

As you can see, she also threw in a bunch of Ann M. Martin's spin-off Little Sister books, with a note saying she hoped some of my ESL students would enjoy them! =)

Yes, Kathy, they will! Thanks again for your generosity.

19 comments:

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

JMJ - Oh, thank you for the shout-out, I am so glad that they got there safe and sound. You've made my day, lady!

Hey, you said some pretty nice things about my blog and my house too, thanks for that too.

Your friend forever,

Kathy M.

Kristi said...

Love this post! Your comment at the top made me laugh out loud. I feel awful for not participating, but I skipped it because I haven't been posting about books lately so I felt bad doing a meme. Sounds silly, right? I do have tons of bargains that I've found lately so I promise I'll post one tomorrow!

I'm curious to hear how you like Across the Universe. I've seen it everywhere but haven't really felt compelled to read it. Maybe your review will change my mind. :)

How kind of Lesa to send you her some of those books! I read all of the Babysitter Club books growing up. They were my favorite! I have a sister that's a little older than me and my mom gave her all of the books from our shared room. Most of them were mine. :( I have a little girl and I'm definitely going to try to gather up as many BSC books as I can for her when she's old enough to read and enjoy them.

Lucia (iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books) said...

You're so lucky you won that AtU prize pack! I loved that book!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Kathy -- You're very welcome! It was the least I could do, after you were so kind. =) I'm happy to be your blog friend!

Kristi -- How I see it is that as long as a meme post is content-rich and not just "filler," then it's a legitimate post you can be just as proud of! I try to make my regular BBB posts and sporadic IMM posts as interesting as possible so that they fit that criterion.

Oh, if my mother gave most of my books to my sister, I'd do something drastic! =( Were you away at the time and unable to object?

I'm still rediscovering the BSC because I didn't read the books when I was younger and am just catching up now. They're pretty good, though! I think the writing is great quality for something that is "just" a Juvenile Series book, and I love all the retro details from the 80s. (I was so sorry to hear that the updated versions don't have them.)

Lucia -- Thanks for the encouragement! I hope I like it, too. =)

Nikki-ann said...

We meet some wonderful and generous people on the blogosphere, don't we?

It looks like you had a great week for mail. I hope you enjoy them all! :)

Midnight Bloom said...

I just the LOVE the cover of Across The Universe! Congrats on the win and happy reading! :)

Little Miss Becky : ) said...

Congrats on winning the Across the Universe stuff! That's cool! I really enjoyed it, so I hope you do, too!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Nikki-ann -- Yes, fellow bloggers are the best! =D Thanks for visiting.

Midnight Bloom -- I know what you mean! Even in poor quality photos (such as mine, LOL!) Across the Universe still looks very striking. =) Thanks for leaving a comment.

Little Miss Becky -- Thanks! I've been hearing lots of great stuff about Beth Revis' debut and I look forward to reading it soon.

vvb32 reads said...

your across the universe package looks like such a fun one to receive. love the stars, stars and more stars.

Lesa said...

Yay-- I'm a favorite Mrs. BG gal!! I guess that means you can tell us all apart now. hahah

Oh, you lucky girl!! You have a bookish fairy godmother! This is the coolest BBB ever-- I bet such a thing has never happened on the other book haul memes.

I'm a sci-fi fan so Universe is on my TBR list. And I had to track down your answer to the 300 yr question...

Fun BBB-- thanks for partying with us!!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Vvb -- It's definitely one of the better covers of 2011! =)

Lesa -- All the more reason to love BBB the best! =D Seriously, what I love about your linky party is that people really get to know each other after a while, and to have real discussions. I know who's going to come back next week; and I look forward to reading both their posts and their comments under mine. =)

You're probably the only one who bothered to track my answer down. I hope it wasn't too hopelessly sappy! =P

iLuvReadingTooMuch said...

Nice IMM :) OOO I have AtU, but I still need to get started! Lucky you, with all that amazing swag ;D Thanks for dropping by my blog and Happy Reading!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Sometimes the swag is more fun than the book! ;-) Thanks for returning the visit!

Edie said...

Grats on winning Across the Universe! Nice swag. I'm in the middle of reading it. So far it's good.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks, Edie! =) I've heard only good about it, so far.

Stephanie M. Lorée said...

Hey! So glad you finally received AtU. I hope you enjoy the book and the swag. Have a fantastic day!

Scribbler to Scribe

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks again, Stephanie! Yes, they're great! =D

DeLynne said...

En, Doesn't it make you feel all warm and fuzzy when people share? Such a nice bloggy world we live in!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

It certainly does, DeLynn! And you and your co-bloggers are among the nicest. =D