28 April 2011

+JMJ+

Character Connection 23


Talking animals have come a long way since Aesop started collecting his fables. His early animal characters existed to be predictable: the lion was leonine, the mouse was murine, the fox was vulpine . . . and so on. (I'd go on, if only my vocabulary would let me!)

Our own animal stories, on the other hand, have main characters who are unusual in some way: crickets who chirp opera, pigs who herd sheep, even toads which steal motor cars! And they don't exist just to stand out, but to change and to grow. One of these days, I'll definitely write about one of them.

This week, however, I feature a character who is a perfect balance of both traditions. While he is definitely a specific animal type, he is also a three-dimensional individual whose fate makes us care about what happens to him in the end.



Plumpen
Redwall
by Brian Jacques

The dormice were huddled miserably together, their necks looped cruelly together on a rope. They whimpered fearfully at the sinister sight of Cluny the Scourge.

"Which one of you is the leader?" he snarled.

A bedraggled, youngish mouse held up a timid paw. "I am, sir. My name is Plumpen. Please let us go free. We have done no harm to any living creature. Violence is against our nature. We--"

"Silence," Cluny snapped. "Or I'll teach you what violence means."

An anguished moan rose from the dormice lying in the ditch. Cluny cracked his tail.

". . . You, Plumpen, or whatever your name is, tell your tribe that they won't be harmed as long as you do what I say . . ."

While there is never any doubt that Cluny the Scourge is a villain and that to wipe him off the face of the land would be a very good thing indeed, we don't see the very depths of his villainy until he comes face to face with Plumpen the dormouse.

Plumpen and his family have been minding their own business, traveling through Mossflower Country intending to trouble no one and to remain untroubled themselves. (The polar opposites of Cluny and his band!) But due to a combination of bad luck and their own touching trust that they shall always be treated as they themselves treat others, they have no defense against the scouts who pounce upon them in their sleep--much less the general who intends to use them for his own evil ends.

And Cluny is never more cruel than he is to poor Plumpen. It is one thing to make someone do your dirty work for you when he has his own aptitude for mischief, however benign; it is a whole other case when what you will force him to do is so alien to his character that it tears him apart inside. (Millstones and oceans are making so much sense right now.) So when Cluny forces Plumpen to insinuate himself among the mice of Redwall Abbey, to win their trust, to lie to them, and finally to betray them--promising to free Plumpen's entire nest if he does so, taking advantage of the dormouse's innate inability to suspect a double-cross--Cluny hits the rock bottom of villainy.

Plumpen's fate nearly broke my heart . . . but Redwall is a place of grace (which is a more mystical word for good luck), and his being forced to enter the abbey, which he might never have approached on his own, likely turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to him.

Image Source: Redwall by Brian Jacques

11 comments:

Jenny said...

I keep hearing about this book. And due to another book I read recently I'm thinking I like reading books where animals are the characters. Maybe I'll check this one out.
Here's mine.
http://alternatereadality.blogspot.com/

Sullivan McPig said...

Talking animals rule! ;-)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Jenny -- The whole Redwall series is a cut above a lot of Fantasy literature written for young readers. Even readers whom I never thought would like the books have said they enjoy them, so I'm sure you will, too. =)

What is the other book you've recently read?

Sully -- Talking animals are the BEST! =P

IntrovertedJen said...

Somehow, I never got into the Redwall series. I don't know if they were published when I thought I was too old for them or what. I did read one of them out of order, Lord Brocktree, a few years ago, and I did enjoy it.

Poor Plumpen! Something like his story always makes me think of a line out of The Green Mile by Stephen King, "He killed them with they love." I hope no one gets killed in this story, but villains can always find a way to use love to control others.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Plumpen does tug at the heartstrings, exactly because Cluny controls him with his own love, as well as his innocence.

As for reading the series in order . . . The books tend to jump around a lot, so it doesn't seem to matter (unless you're obsessive-compulsive about that sort of thing, as I am!). The second book is the "prequel" to the first; the third book is the proper sequel; the fourth book is set somewhere between the first and second; and so on. Still, yes, publication order does matter and surprises can still be spoiled, so . . .

I suppose it depends on what you feel about series books in general, and maybe the Narnia books in particular.

Lesa said...

I've never read this either but it sounds like my sort and I like the name 'Plumpen'.

Have you read Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins? It is one of my favorite underground series and it has talking rats ect as well as humans.

Lesa said...

Commenting again so I can click the email thingy. Is there a setting to click so the email subscription isn't tied to commenting? I know some blogs have it-- gotta check mine and see cause it is so much more convenient.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Ooooh, you must try Redwall! It's like The Wind in the Willows meets The Lord of the Rings . . . or at least The Wind in the Willows meets The Hobbit. =P

Yes, I have read Gregor the Overlander--but just the first book. What I remember most are the talking cockroaches. ;-) LOL!

I'm sorry, but I don't know enough to answer your e-mail subscription question! =(

Lesa said...

that makes Redwall sound even more interesting!

I don't remember the roaches! Might need to reread Gregor one of these days.

I found it! the 'subscribe by email' is available when comments are set to 'embed below post'-- I like pop up comment windows best but I'm going to give the embedded a try. I do love that 'subscribe by email' when I see it on others blogs-- didn't realize mine didn't have it!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Do you mean the bit that shows up as "E-mail follow-up comments . . ." over here?

Lesa said...

Yes, that is what I forgot to click on my first comment-- once the comment is posted, the 'email follow-up' can't be clicked unless one comments again. Normally, I don't forget.