16 February 2011

+JMJ+

Wednesday Night Trailer: "What Happened in the Bathroom, Nanny?"





Just when you thought I'd never break out of the 80s . . . Bette Davis came along to remind me that when it comes to "Women in Horror" she might just be the only actress you'll ever need.



For most actresses these days (who are mere "starlets" next to Davis), doing Horror is a way of getting a foot in the door. They're usually young, hopeful, grateful for the work experience, and willing to go to great lengths to be memorable on screen. Davis, of course, was the exact opposite: older, more cynical, keenly aware of her own worth, and yet still willing to go to great lengths to be memorable on screen. Her 60s-era psychos are especially chilling. The actress who took home Best Actress Oscars for Dangerous and Jezebel is totally unrecognisable.

But enough of my gushing. Suffice it to say that she scares the living hell out of me and that I hope you watch the movie with me on Friday night, because it's not the kind which should be watched alone. Misery may love company, but it has nothing on the clinginess of terror.

6 comments:

EegahInc said...

As a child, my mother introduced me to Bette Davis through Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? so I'm definitiely a fan of older crazed Beete. It was years before I knew she actually started out as something of a glamour girl.

cyurkanin said...

Count me in :)

Gypsi said...

Bette is my favorite actress; I've seen and loved (mostly) all her movies, young and old. The Nanny is one of the most tense and fantastic of them all!

For younger Bette, Now, Voyager is my favorite. Have you seen it?

Lesa said...

Wow-- we are sympatico this week! I read your previous post at work and didn't have time to comment BUT this is the very movie I was going to mention!

I tend to gush about Bette too. she is just fabulous and fascinating. I saw a documentary about her life a few months ago-- includes lots of oral history from Bette-- she was quite an amazing gal back in the day-- very modern in her thinking and she didn't suffer fools gladly.

I think this was it, Stardust: http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=133166&mainArticleId=133164

Keep an eye out for it!

Shannon Young said...

I haven't seen this yet, but it's definitely on my list now. I don't think I want to watch it alone either.

I recently received the Stylish Blogger Award and I'm passing it on to you. Here's the link: http://akindleinhongkong.blogspot.com/2011/02/wednesday-dim-sum-stylish-bloggers.html

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Eegahlnc -- I discovered the "older, crazed Bette" before the younger, stylish one, too, thanks to my grandmother. I still remember the afternoon she got me to watch What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? for the first time. Riveting!!!

C -- Oh, no! Now I have to make this live blog good. =P

Gypsi -- I'm glad to hear that about The Nanny, which I hadn't even known about until last night. It was either this one or Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte, and I went with this one because I figured I'd have more to say about evil nannies than aging Southern belles!

No, I haven't seen Now, Voyager yet, but it's one I'd like to watch someday. =)

Lesa -- Thanks for the recommendation. I'm actually not that big a Bette fan, although rediscovering her 60s movies is changing my mind. (It figures, aye? LOL!)

Shannon -- Bette is so creepy in the trailer, isn't she?!?!?

Thanks for the award. =)