14 December 2010

+JMJ+

The Holiday Tag

How about some seasonal filler? The lovely Jillian of Random Ramblings has tagged me for an original Holiday Meme, and I'm happy to answer her questions . . . if only because I have an ulterior motive I'll reveal at the end of this. ;-)

1. When do you usually know and feel that it's finally the holidays?

I know that a new year of holidays have begun when I start lighting up the candles on the Advent wreath . . . and when I start baking my special Christmas cookies.

2. What do you want for Christmas this year?

Bookshelves built right into my walls, if you please.

3. Do you go all out with decorations?

No. Not at all. =P Whenever I'm tempted, I always tell myself, "You're going to have to clean it all up and put it away in about a month, you know."

4. What are you doing Christmas Eve?

I'll be at Midnight Mass, of course, but I don't know where my family will be having Noche Buena. For the past couple of years, we've attended the annual Christmas Eve party of one of my grandmother's oldest friends, and we'll probably do that again this year because the catering is always so good.

5. What are you doing Christmas day?

Despite the fact that I have a family, I'll be one of those losers who'll have time to blog on that day . . . and who'll feel lonely when she sees nobody else is online. =S

5. It's Christmas time. What are you reading?

Right now, I'm doing a big reread of all the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling. (Well, they all have a few chapters set during Christmas, right?) But if you're looking for a special holiday rec, I've got you covered. Try The Unlikely Romance of Kate Bjorkman by Louise Plummer. Everyone I've recommended it to has really liked it.

6. Favorite movie to watch during the holidays?

Die Hard and Die Hard 2! And of course National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. But now I'm thinking I should do a Rocky marathon as well . . . We'll see.

7. Favorite Christmas song?

Jingle Bells, the Chipmunks' version. =P

8. Favorite holiday drink?

Dude, where's my Ribena???

9. How is your Christmas shopping going?

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha! I don't like shopping for other people, so I usually just bake something and give everyone a zip lock bag full. This year, my mother advised me to put some real thought into packaging, too. And what do you know? It really makes a difference!

10. If you could spend Christmas day anywhere else, where would you spend it?

Oh, gosh. That's a dangerous question to ask me.

11. Any holiday traditions?

Misa de Gallo at dawn for the traditional Christmas novena Mass.

12. Favorite thing about the Holidays?

Presents--because I'm greedy and superficial like that.


Tags: I'm not tagging anyone else to do this meme, but I'm tagging Jillian for Narnia Day this 25 December. She'd better show up! ;-)

Update: Dylan was nice enough to tag himself--as was Birdie--and I really liked reading their answers!

11 comments:

Jillian said...

I have been looking for what the dawn mass is called! Misa de Gallo. Thank you! LOL. I'm going too!

I love Christmas shopping for people I actually care for.. and not for people I feel like I have to give gifts too. I'm sure you know what I mean ;)

Also, I am so behind emails. I just read yours yesterday. I will be there ;) Do I just do it like how we usually do Locus Focus?

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read said...

I'm going to attend Midnight Mass too, it's magical.

Hehe, Chipmunks and Jingle Bells, you have to love that.:)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Jillian: To be absolutely technical about it . . . if you hear Mass at midnight or on the evening before the day the novena technically begins, it's Simbang Gabi. If you wake up at 4:00 in the morning to hear Mass at 5:00, that's Misa de Gallo!

You can do it any way you like! You can even make a list. ;-) A few months ago, someone linked up to Locus Focus with a post that mused on school settings in general--and that was great, too. I just like hearing from people. =) I'm so glad you're on board!

Irena: I was listening to Dean Martin's take on Jingle Bells just last night . . . No comparison! Chipmunks still win! =D

Paul Stilwell said...

E, how do you prepare Ribena? I know it's the potent current juice in the bottle, but how do you make a drink of it?

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I buy the ready-to-drink stuff:

http://www.ribena.co.uk/products.aspx

(Oh, I hadn't known there was a strawberry flavour . . . !)

At least I used to buy the ready-to-drink stuff. GlaxoSmithKline doesn't market Ribena over here at all. I have to wait for someone to come visiting from New Zealand or Singapore--and then I ask him to buy the packs rather than the bottles.

Paul Stilwell said...

Thanks.

It was precisely when they made Die Hard III without a Christmas setting that they ruined the franchise.

I remember watching the opening in the theater with its grim Oklahoma City-styled bombing, and I knew that the magic was gone.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Did you know that the screenplay for Die Hard 3 was originally meant for the Lethal Weapon series? So Bruce Willis is actually playing Martin Riggs here rather than John McClane. Which is several levels of ridiculous.

First of all, remember that when Willis was cast as McClane, nobody thought it was going to work. He was best known for being the goofball partner in TV's Moonlighting--a sort-of Tony Danza type, if I remember correctly. Nobody really thought of him as an action hero--not even the director, which was why Mel Gibson was considered before he was. But oh, did he make a great McClane!

On the other hand, he would have made an awful Riggs, which was a role Gibson could wear like a second skin.

Funny, funny Hollywood connections . . . =P

Paul Stilwell said...

OML, things are starting to make sense now. Frankly, that would have made a super cool Lethal Weapon film, continuing in the same vein as the others but with the added edge that everything takes place in single day.

Yes, the choice of Willis for McClane is almost like the genius of using a non-actor for a main role. He was totally just this ordinary cop caught up in a terrorist plot.

Die Hard 2 took his shrewd, believable tactics against the bad guys a little bit further, but without losing credibility.

Gibson was made for Donner. I love the first two Lethal Weapons.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Casting Willis as McClane was simply genius. He might have been the antithesis of the 80s Action Star, but he was no wimp. And he certainly does more for the great Action Pantheon than our own age's Matt Damon (*shudder*) and Leonardo DiCaprio (*weeps*).

Paul Stilwell said...

I hate the Bourne films.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

The first one was okay. I'd probably watch it again, although I know I'd be better off reading the books and doing my own mental casting.

I just don't watch Damon anymore.