17 November 2010

+JMJ+

Wednesday Night Trailer: "'There' is further than you think!"




Yes, Friday Night Movie is back--and this time, only one year removed from the blessed 1984. I wish I could say it was because I was inspired by my recent musings on "Family Horror" (See my Twelve Things about Poltergeist!) but it's really because I was inspired by David Bowie.

That fact gives me a weird feeling. The first time I watched Labyrinth, I thought the musical numbers were boring and completely superfluous. (Well, I still think one of them is--but it's not one of his.) And now, revisiting this movie for my blog, I can't believe how casually I dismissed his music the first time around.



vs.

I recall another blogger saying that she knew that her taste in music had finally reached maturity the day she first heard Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven and understood it was bloody brilliant. And I get that now--because that is what Bowie's music makes me feel.

It wasn't as if I had never been exposed to his ouevre before. My uncle who amassed a big collection of Beatles records (Yes, Christopher, that means vinyl.) had many of Bowie's albums as well. But I stuck with the Beatles--their Pop-py pre-Revolver stuff--because I just didn't get Bowie. And now that I'm finally listening to him, so many years late, my beloved early Beatles are nothing to me now but pretty.

Which is kind of the kiss of death, aye?

Anyway, see you at the Live Blog on Friday! I assure you it won't be all Bowie, all the time. =P


And in case you were wondering . . . yes, this is the "Mystery Movie" alluded to in my "100+ Followers, 10+ Friends" Giveaway post. Remember that you can earn up to ten extra entries if you watch along and leave a comment live-blog style! =)

Image Sources: a) The Beatles' A Hard Day's Night, b) David Bowie's Space Oddity

13 comments:

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Ahh!!! I LOVED this movie! It scared the daylights out of me as a kid, but the story wa so cool, and I loved the girl in it. I remember seeing her in another movie (a name I can't remember now,) thinking, heyyyyy isn't that the girl from Labyrinth? Such a cool movie.

Lesa said...

Oh, I loved this too-- I always thought Bowie was cool! Been wanting to see it again since several bloggers have blogged about it this year-- how does the live blog work with all the time zones involved?

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Carol: That might have been A Beautiful Mind. Jennifer Connoly won several acting awards for her role in that movie . . . but of course, everyone just remembers Labyrinth. LOL!

Lesa: "Live" blog is a euphemism, I'm afraid! =P I just comment along to the videos and put my scintillating insights (*ahem*) up for all the world to share!

You can check out my other "Friday Night Movies" to see how I do it. Most of them were done "live"--meaning I watched the movie that night and kept updating the post until I was done. But a couple were done over a couple of days--and Conan the Barbarian is notoriously unfinished to this day. (I just might finish it next week, in honour of Dino de Laurentiis, who recently passed away.)

And now let me confess that Labyrinth is already done! I was so worried I'd pull another Conan that I started the "live blog" when got the idea for the latest giveaway. Now it's just waiting to be published.

Paul Stilwell said...

I was going to do this for the Halloween Scary Settings Movie Edition.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

First, Astoria . . . then, the Goblin Kingdom. You have great taste in settings, Stilwell! ;-)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

PS--You can still write up that post and link it up for fun, you know! (But no pressure or anything. I dropped the ball last week, so I'm not one to talk!)

Myra said...

I love Labyrinth. David Bowie in spandex!!! Doesn't get any better than that. And, uh, Jennifer is smokin' hot too.

Lesa said...

hahaa-- Checked out your previous FNM-- I get it now!
How funny to think it was going to be a global movie/chat event! Guess that would be next to impossible but I was so looking forward to it!

Here is a coinkydink-- before I knew there would be segments of the movie in your post, I asked my film/tv addicted spouse if he would request Labyrinth from netflix---- can you believe he said: 'I just added it to my instant watch list on netflix!' How weird is that-- It isn't like the movie is a big topic of conversation-- probably hasn't been mentioned in our house since the 80s!

Paul Stilwell said...

E, no, no...I'll leave the reins in your capable hands. I'll just enjoy the live blog. It's been a looooong time since I watched it.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Myra: This was the first viewing in which I noticed his outrageously form-fitting pants! I'm still embarrassed! How did those make it into a family movie??? LOL!

Lesa: As much as I wish Shredded Cheddar were big enough for a global chat event that made everyone look up time zones . . . I run a humble operation here. =P

But I'm delighted to hear that Labyrinth has been on a lot of people's minds lately! It's nice not to be the weird one for once, even if that in itself is weird. LOL! I look forward to your comments. =)

Stilwell: It was a long time for me, too! I'm so glad the entire movie was up on YouTube. I hadn't guessed it would age so well, but it really, really has!

See you at the live blog! =D

Lesa said...

Ah well, weird is where it's at-- at least that is what I keep telling myself! hahah

Speaking of weird-- I found out my other half was planning to watch it because of contact juggling. Who remembers contact juggling in a movie over 2O years old?!

I'm looking forward to it too-- I will go ahead and admit my deep dark secret-- I found the goblin king very intriguing-- my teen self would have stayed with the goblin king. Wondering now if I will be laughing hysterically as well as cringing over my younger silly self.

Lesa said...

OH-- I don't think the pants had anything to do with it-- I don't even remember the pants!!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

It's fun to see what random things people remember from a movie they last saw so many years ago!

My younger self would not have stayed with the Goblin King. =P But she would have liked to stay with the friends Sarah makes in the Goblin Kingdom. As for my older self, who is writing this . . . I'm leaning towards life in the Goblin Kingdom more and more every day! LOL!

And the pants didn't make an impression on me at all! I remember our cook, who was watching with me, crying out that the pants were too much--but I was still too innocent to understand why! When I watched it again for the live blog post, however, I could barely look at the pants! LOL! I still can't believe Jim Henson allowed them!