26 November 2010

+JMJ+

Reading Challenge the Third



Isn't the badge pretty? ;-)

Read Your Victorian Literature
Queen Victoria reigned from 1837-1901.
If your book wasn't published during those particular years,
but is by an author considered 'Victorian' then go for it.
We're here for reading, not historical facts!
Also, this can include works by authors from other countries,
so long as they are from this period.


Book blogger recognition, here I come!!! =D

(Not that I'll know what to do with it when I get it.)

Believe it or not, I actually have a book list this time, because this challenge gives me the perfect excuse to get started on something I've wanted to do for a few months now . . .


The Extraordinarily Cheddary Postmodern Steampunk Challenge!!!
(This isn't a real challenge, by the way . . .)

Okay, so the movie adaptation of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was kind of a flop. I still really, really enjoyed all the literary allusions. And the Steampunk was just great--so good I could almost overlook the horrible CGI. (Almost.)

Which is why it is with great shame that I admit I haven't actually read most of the novels or short stories whose characters come to new life here. None but one--and that was in elementary school! And it's the novel that wasn't even supposed to be there, so it doesn't do much to elevate me from (my self-imposed) Literary Loser level. Time to get reading!

Here are, in alphabetical order, the Victorian works of literature I am giving myself one year to read . . .

Dracula by Bram Stoker
Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells
King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard -- COMPLETED!
The Portrait of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea by Jules Verne
The Final Problem by Arthur Conan Doyle

(You'll have to use your secret decoder rings for the last one because it contains a spoiler for the movie.)

I guess this means I'm going for the Victorian Reading Challenge's Great Expectations level!

PS--If you're wondering what US Secret Service agent Tom Sawyer (!!!) is doing in there . . . The filmmakers weren't happy about having an all-European cast of characters, so they threw in an American. =P

PPS--Yes, it's the only one of the bunch I can say I have read . . . if having read something once, almost twenty years ago can still count as "having read something." (Does reading have an expiration date?)

PPPS--Some of you might remember that Fire Storm and I were supposed to have read Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea together last year. Let's just say that although he tried to bluff his way through it and failed, I bluffed my way through it with amazing success. =P And after he said he just wouldn't be able to read it, I thought, "Well, heck, I'm not reading it, either!" Further proof, I suppose, that I was always too immature to teach high school students.)

Image Source: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen promo image

18 comments:

pennyyak said...

Never read King Solomon's Mines - the reviews look interesting (reviews from modern readers). I'll put this on my wish list, if the library doesn't have it.

It's amazing what they don't have.

My favorite is Tom Sawyer, although Dracula is good too. This is ridiculous. I could say that for every one of them.

Birdie said...

hehehehehe
Now, this is one you can't blame on me, because while I was looking at the Victorian challenge, I've not signed up for it, or tempted you or anything---yet.
*huggles*

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read said...

Oh, I need to make myself a part of the Victoria Literature Challenge, as I LOVE Victorian literature.

And, I should read LXG the comic book because the movie left me wanting so much more.

I've read Dracula and The Potrait of Dorian Gray, and liked both. I hope you enjoy them! I have to confess that after reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain ain't seeing me again.:) *blush*

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Penny: It's probably the one I'm going to read first, as I already have a copy.

Birdie: LOL! When I wrote this, I was thinking, "Should I mention Birdie for being an indirect bad influence, or should I just own my own choices?"

Irena: I've heard that the movie and the graphic novels are very, very different. Since I came to the movie first, I kind of wish the graphic novels had Tom Sawyer, too. I mean, I liked these characters, even if they're (reportedly) not much like Moore's original creations. (Can I still say "original" when he took them from other writers?)

Anyway, if you do read the graphic novels, I'll look forward to you reviews. =)

Bethany said...

Ooh! Nice list of books :) Good to see we have some similar authors and the same titles. I'm excited!!

Birdie said...

hehehehehehehehehe
You're welcome to mention me as an indirect bad influence; in fact, when my parents leave and I have time to compile a list, I'll be joining this challenge as well.

Your list is fabulous, btw.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Bethany: I usually don't post book lists at all, preferring to take books as they plop into my life--if only because I almost always change my mind about set titles midstream. So it's safer not to commit in advance, etc.

On the other hand, I love looking at other people's book lists and seeing the titles and authors we have in common. You're right that it is going to be fun! Thanks again for hosting the challenge. =)

Birdie: All right, then! The next time I join a reading challenge, I'll point the finger in your direction--as you deserve! Bwahahahaha!

(But really, this reading challenge thing is lots of fun, isn't it? I just can't join too many or my head will start spinning!)

Lesa said...

How clever to theme your picks to the LXG movie-- that will make the challenge more interesting and meaningful.

I didn't like Dracula very much-- kinda dull compared to the movies. Surprised me cause books are almost always better.

Didn't realise Solomon's Mine was a book--- I thought it was just movie! Duh!! I want to read it.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I'll probably read King Solomon's Mines in January, so if you want to do a Read Along, that would be great! (Given our tendency to gobble books rather than nibble them, however, that'll be a short Read Along. LOL!)

Trish said...

I think you'll really like Dracula - it was one of my favorites! I joined this challenge too but I'm not sure what my reading list will be yet.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I do have high hopes for Dracula. =) Thanks for visiting, Trish.

BookQuoter said...

I have yet to decide on my books. I am going to read Dracula also. I have read Dr Jekyll and Dorian Gray. I like them both.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is one that I'm very excited about. =)

Thanks for dropping by, BookQuoter!

ardentreader said...

Love, love, love The Portrait of Dorian Gray, but it's one of those books that needs to be read slowly to follow and love.

Twain and I have never gotten along. All of his books are in my DNF pile, but for some reason I keep trying them again.

olduvaireads said...

Nice list of books! I kinda love HG Wells but I never did read The Invisible Man.... wonder why...

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Ardentreader: Hi! =) Thanks for the tip on Dorian Gray!

Olduvaireads: I've read other Wells novels as well, like The Time Machine, The War of the Worlds and Food of the Gods. And I can see why his out-of-print stuff fell out of favour but also why his well-known stuff is still in print. I'm really looking forward to The Invisible Man!

Thanks for visiting. =D

Avid Reader said...

I love that you worked League books in. That's why I included the adventure ones in my challenge too! I just read the first volume of the graphic novel and now I want to read all of the book that inspired the characters. Great twist on the challenge!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

How did I not reply to your comment last year, Avid Reader?

*facepalm*

I've already read a couple of other Victorian books, but am not counting them for this challenge, because I'm making it all about the League. I'm not saying the movie was that impressive, but we love cheesy stuff here, don't we--so it works. ;-) I know there are more allusions in the graphic novels, but right now I'm glad I didn't base the challenge on them, because I'm really, really behind on this one!

As always, thanks for visiting! I promise to be more punctual in replying to you next time. =)