22 November 2010

+JMJ+

Reading Challenge the Second


YA of the 80s and 90s Reading Challenge
Read the rules and sign up, too!
Come on . . . you know you can't resist this cassette tape!


Well, we just celebrated the last Sunday of the liturgical year and I'm in the mood for plans and new beginnings. I'm also finally giving in and admitting that I can't really call Shredded Cheddar a "book blog" unless it has regular posts about books. =P

So next secular year, I will be taking the Book Vixen's challenge and reading as much "old school" YA as I can.

All the rules are on the sign-up post, so click on the link above to see if this is something you might like to do as well.

(One last liturgical thought: doesn't the badge totally fit today's memorial?)


BOOKS COMPLETED

The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull by John Bellairs, 1984
("Young Detectives" Open Letter)

So You Want to Be a Wizard by Diane Duane, 1983
("Character Connection" Post)

As I'm a "pantser" rather than a "planner" in my reading as well as my writing, I'm updating this post as I go along, with links to the posts I put up about the books I decide to read.

3 comments:

pennyyak said...

YA books were influential - and they often mirrored my adult choices. I don't know if this was a chicken and egg situation, if I had the interest which fueled my choices or the books themselves shaped my world.

Anyway, they are really important books, considering that we read them in particularly vulnerable years.

The Book Vixen said...

Thanks for participating in the reading challenge!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Penny: The reading we do in our youth really stays with us for life, doesn't it? =) It doesn't have to be YA, either. One book that got me when I was vulnerable was Jane Eyre . . . but that's obvious! LOL!

During my last reread of this novel, I was surprised at how closely my life seemed to have followed Jane's since my last big read. Did I unconsciously pattern my life after hers, letting the book "shape my world" from the back of my mind? Or was there already an impulse within me back then that fell in love with the book because it knew Jane was a kindred spirit? Same dilemma, aye? =)

But what's interesting about YA, evident especially in this case, is that it's read by as many adults as children. That's another sort of power and fueling altogether!

Book Vixen: Thanks for hosting it! =)