03 November 2010

+JMJ+

InterNaPoWriMo, Anyone?


letter WPewter Ransom Font ampersandletter Q
6

If you're new to "Word & Question", please see the Playing Poetry page.

If you're a veteran, then you know what this post means! E-mail your entries to me by Friday if you'd like to join W&Q 6 this November. =)

Yes, I am, once more, your humble host for this month. And I will be on time next week, even if the effort fries every last poetic neuron in my brain!

In the meantime, I have a special word and question for everyone . . .


Word: Novel
Question: Are you planning to write one this October?

Yes, it's that time of the year again. (Again.)

As you all know, my creativity is taxed enough by my having to put out one poem a month. I doubt I'll be writing any fiction this year.

But I always sign up for NaNo, anyway. Just in case, you know?

And while I have your hapless attention--(which I really don't, should you decide to stop reading right now)--I might as well confess that I have a settings problem. Yes, I, Miss Locus Focus herself, have a settings problem.

When I trot out the excuse that I used to have a million ideas and couldn't put them on the page fast enough, but now have nothing, I'm telling only half of the truth. I still have quite a few ideas; I just stop short of writing them because they're set in all the "wrong" places. That is, they must be wrong because I feel guilty trying to write them. I feel that they should be set where I live--or even where I used to live--because those are places I know (and "therefore" should love) . . . but instead, they are set in places I have never been and can only hope to see someday. And then I feel fake and unrooted and fake and escapist and fake and hopeless and fake and completely lost. It's hardly a feeling conducive to writing.

So now I'm just wondering . . . Can anyone relate?

7 comments:

Salome Ellen said...

No NaNOWriMo, but NaBloPoMo for me! We should try InaBloPoMo next year. ;-D

Sullivan McPig said...

I got a different kind of goal for November: painting an entire house in two weeks!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Ellen: Well, good luck with that! =) I've already received your prompts for W&Q. Thanks for being such a regular player!

Sully: I wish you good luck as well! I've seen some pictures of the work your owner has been doing on your other blog, and it's no joke, is it?

Dauvit Balfour said...

Yeah, I know the feeling. Though of course there are other things keeping me from writing a novel, the problem of setting is definitely one of them. Who wants to read about my hometown, or my college, or (heaven forefend) Indianapolis? And yet to write anything else would involve writing something I don't know, and the first rule of writing (just before "kill your darlings") is to write what you know.

I suppose you could go all Dostoevsky and let the setting fade into an unimportant and vague background aura. But I forgot, you haven't read Dostoevsky.

Stevenson, Twain, and L'Amour all walked, sailed, and rode over the lands they wrote about. Perhaps I should become a wanderer...

Capcha bonus: I'm not sure what an ectersm is, but it sounds unpleasant.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

My problem is that even I don't want to read about my hometown, etc. (Well, there are exceptions, of course, but I'm not the writer to create them.) And isn't there another unwritten rule (Pun?) about writing the books you want to read? Obviously, the books I want to read--and do frequently read--are not set where I live.

And then there's my other fear, when I create characters, that I'm just writing about myself in the third person. But that's another story, aye?

By the way, I received your W&Q prompts. Thanks! =)

Sullivan McPig said...

@Enbrethiliel: We've got to paint the whole house again! The only rooms we do not have to paint are the bathroom and the toilet.
It's gruesome and we're on a deadline.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Oh, no! =( It does sound horrible and I wish I could be there to help. You're really busy now, obviously, but I can't wait for the whole "war story" when you can finally sit back, relax, and tell us the whole paint-spattered saga.