24 October 2010

+JMJ+

Writing Diary, Entry #23

When I sent my first clip out to Fully Booked Zine, it was with the hope that they'd ask me to write reviews for them. I like reading books; they liked selling books; we could meet halfway with reviews. And then I found myself doing a lot of . . . interviews.

It frustrated me a little because I didn't think those assignments played to my strengths as a writer. After about a year, I pitched an idea that didn't require me to trick people into being quotable . . . and since then, I've been one of their go-to writers for reviews. And of course now I miss the interviews.

You can read my short reviews of six Paranormal Romances in the PDF of the last issue. Look for Blood, Lust and Love on Page 10.

(Note to self: Be careful what you wish for.)



At least Atlas TV Guide still gets me out of the house once in a while, to cover a media event--or as the case was last week, a premiere. I like it because I get to pretend to be a "media person" for a few hours, although I don't think anyone is really fooled. =P

(Note to self: Buy more black for your wardrobe.)

But enough about me . . .


The premiere was for National Geographic's Great Migrations, t most ambitious documentary to date (Note the way I'm already promoting it!). We watched the first episode, Born to Move, in a darkened cinema, with a huge screen and state-of-the-art sound system; and I thought to myself, This is how all documentaries should be watched.

Yes, it was that good--but no, I'm not going to tell you about it until my article is out in print. Besides, I'd rather embarrass myself professionally now by remembering the excellent buffet.

I started with the pita chips and hummous, then served myself a plate of puttanesca. A waiter was going around with a tray of vegetarian paninis, so I had one (or two . . . or three . . . which was not as bad as it sounds because they were small). And then I tried some of the little tea sandwiches: they had tuna salad, chicken salad, cheese pimiento, and cucumber. And then there were some bite-sized tacos, which were a bit disappointing because they didn't taste Tex-Mex at all but kind of made up for that with the crunch of the lettuce. When I went back for more pita chips and hummous, I noticed the three-tiered dessert tray. Cream puffs, a very light cake I can't remember the name of, and so-called "decadent chocolate cake" that didn't impress me at all. I was on my third serving of those pita chips and hummous (and my fourth glass of iced tea) when they finally opened the doors of the cinema.

And now you all know why my mother feels the need to say to people we meet in restaurants, "You'd never believe it, but she eats like a stevedore. Show them, honey!" When she does that, it becomes funny rather than embarrassing.

Believe it or not, the best part was not the food. =P Thanks to this premiere, I now have a third press kit to add to my collection. I have a folder full of interesting facts, a CD with more information, a VCD of Born to Move, and a plush elephant pillow. (They originally gave me a zebra, but I traded it for the elephant. My brother Camera Man loves elephants.) It all came in a nice canvas tote with the NatGeo logo, which pleased my mother greatly. She's all about bags.

And now I have another movie to review, so I should get on that.

Image Source: Great Migrations banner

3 comments:

christopher said...

"she eats like a stevedore" - Ma'am, one of the funniest lines I've read in a long time. Thanks, I needed that one.

Sheila said...

I get the "eats like a stevedore" line, or something equivalent, all the time. My husband has nicknamed me "Crunchbite" for the amount I ate for breakfast one morning at a restaurant. Or he'll tell people, "It was like a wheat harvester!"

Normally I eat rather sparingly, but when I see a large spread of free food ... well, I sure can tuck it in.

You definitely made me laugh -- and made me hungry. ;)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Christopher: You're welcome. =P I've been trying to work "stevedore" into a post ever since I read the Italian equivalent in a Don Camillo story (the one with the "Don Camalo" graffiti), and now I have! =D

Sheila: Crunchbite is a good one! And I'm glad my mother doesn't know about wheat harvesters. =P

I don't actually eat that much, but when I'm at a restaurant that serves generous portions--or at a party with a loaded buffet--well, I figure, why let all of that goodness go to waste?