31 October 2010

+JMJ+

Reading Challenge Report: R.I.P. V

Happy Halloween!!!

This was my very first challenge--and I'm going to make that my excuse. (You already know what's coming next, right?)

Let's start with the good news . . .




I've been watching Horror movies on a regular basis, thanks to the seasonally celebratory cable programming. These are the four posts I linked up for the challenge:

Twelve Things about Night of the Demons
Twelve Things about Joy Ride 2: Dead Ahead
Twelve Things about Student Bodies
Locus Focus: Hollywood (Scream 3)

(If I had known there was no set number of films to watch, I would have included Twelve Things about Orphan.)

Now for the bad news . . .


Although I did quite a lot of Horror reading in the past two months, I wasn't able to write about four particular novels that could count as entries for this challenge. [Insert whiny sob story about broken down PC here.] Two of them have posts that I linked up as soon as I posted them; the third is Christine by Stephen King; and I haven't decided which of the three Henry James stories I read
(the scarier of which turned out to be shorts rather than the novellas I thought they were) can count as the fourth.

Locus Focus: Our Lady of Perpetual Reflections (Full Tilt by Neal Shusterman)
Reading Diary: The Witches of Worm by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

There might be no sense in writing "review" posts after the challenge officially closes for this year, but I rarely do things the sensible way, anyway; so I'll be writing about Christine and something else soon and updating this post accordingly.

12 comments:

Lesa said...

This still sounds like a fun challenge-- maybe I will be able to fit it in next year. I am still planning to read some horror of some kind but don't know what yet-- I'd like to reread some of the old spooky folktale collections I read as a kid.

I read Christine years ago-- seems like it was scarier than the movie but my amnesia is kicking in. Did you ever see a movie called Car-- maybe from the 70s? creeped me out when I was a kid but was a bit hokey when I saw it years later.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Oh, Christine the novel is definitely scarier than Christine the movie. (I recall sticking with the movie only because I was impressed that the Alexandra Paul of Baywatch had once had such long curly hair! LOL!) If you ever have the time and it grabs your interest, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed. (And I don't say things like this very often!) =D

I haven't seen Car, though. I vaguely recall being freaked out by some possessed cars in a parking garage in the really silly Poltergeist 3, but I'm sure if I watched it today, I'd yawn through the same sequence.

(Hmmmm. Cars in Horror. I should do more research and make a Top 5 List!)

Birdie said...

Hey, if you read it, it counts!
Congrats on completing your first challenge!
I'm very glad we "did" this one.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Well, it's your job to reassure me, as you dragged me into this challenge in the first place! ;-)

Seriously, it was really fun, Birdie. I'm also very glad we did this!

Lesa said...

You didn't finish cujo? I was looking forward to seeing what you thought of it-- it is a King I would consider rereading-- the last part is so intense.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I was actually reading Cujo in the store. To save my book money, you know. *blush* And then someone else bought it. LOL!

But in a way, I'm kind of relieved. I had just got to the first kill and everything was already pretty intense. I really should save such a read for a year when I can give it the attention it deserves.

Lesa said...

Ha-- that is funny but you aren't the only one! I've wondered if people read entire books at the bookstores with the comfy chairs-- some people look like they haven't budged in hours!

Have you checked the library? Did you ever watch the movie?

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

No, I haven't seen the movie. And sadly, there aren't any public libraries where I live. =(

I have read entire books in the stores several times--which I don't feel guilty about because I buy so much stuff from them, too.

Lesa said...

Well, that stunned me speechless-- which doesn't happen too often. No public libraries! Not one in your entire town or not one in your neighborhood? I can't get it off my mind-- it isn't the worst thing in the world but pretty horrible for a bookworm.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Not one in my entire city!!!

*tragicpose*

Lesa said...

speaking of vehicle movies-- I saw a bit of a 1971 movie called duel (spielberg's first film) last night about an unseen psychotic semi-truck driver stalking and trying to wreck a guy in a car. More suspense than horror but the bit I saw looked pretty intense-- would be frightening if an 18 wheeler stalked you across the county.

link to wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel_(1971_film)

Here is a wiki-link to The Car horror film from 77: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Car

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Maybe that was one inspiration for the Joy Ride movies! Thanks for the link, Lesa. =)