20 October 2010

+JMJ+

The Poem Is Played!


WEST ampersand & letter Q
Linknumber 5
Read everyone else's poems at Salome Ellen!

Yes! It's finally up! =D Ellen won't have to put my name on the WALL OF SHAME!

And now I'm free to read all your poems, too. =) Thanks for playing, everyone!

Now just one "administrative" question to get out of the way: Is anyone up for hosting Word & Question in November? =)


Word: milquetoast
Question: Is that really what you're trying to say?

Too milquetoast a metaphor
won't get a toe inside the door.
Sometimes it takes hyperbole:
this tiny dart could fell a tree.
My tongue has leave to shoot away
when I know what I want to say.

It's a very oblique answer to the question, I admit, but if you fill in the contextual blanks, it can make sense! =P

And now for a second question: Why is it that I take longer and longer to write poems but that they end up shorter and shorter???

8 comments:

Salome Ellen said...

It takes longer and longer because you're working harder and harder to "write a poem" and not just "versify". I can do the latter off the top of my head, but I may have achieved the former (well, a genuine poem) once in my life. This is definitely in the ballpark!

dylan said...

Rhymed tetrameters! Yes!

I like both the form and the substance of this poem. I wouldn't worry about its being too short: some of Catullus's poems are six lines long or shorter(although it occurs to me you might not like to be compared to the somewhat too vivid Roman poet)!

Dauvit Balfour said...

You know a man doesn't know what he wants to say when he rambles on forever. Length is frequently a mark of insincerity or uncertainty. So call the curtness conciseness. Anyway I like it.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

How nice you all are to make me feel better!

Ellen: I did have a lot of early attempts, all longer than this one, that were just "versification." This one won out over the longer ones because it was the poem. =)

Dylan: Oh, I never did get around to studying Catullus. (A little setback called "graduation" got in the way.) But I was always sad about that, because my Latin master assured me that all his students end up thinking of Catullus as "the bees knees"! So I'll take your comparison as a compliment. =)

Dauvit: So I've mastered the rhyming, metered soundbyte, aye? ;-) Thanks for liking it!

Belfry Bat said...

It's *about* conciseness, too, in a way. I think we're getting somewhere, now!

oh, I did mention elswhere, but I've got my *real* poem up, now.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I've just read your poem, Bat. It is lovely!

And since nobody stepped up for November, I'll be hosting the next W&Q. It will be good to have it "home" again--and even better to have a more desperate deadline! =P

Lindsay said...

My goodness! This is just charming. It sort of reminds me of Emily Dickinson. I actually submitted "milquetoast" as my word, and I love, love, love what you've done with it. I think you managed to say a lot with the "little" that you've written. I think anything more would have only taken away from it. Love it! :o)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Gosh, Lindsay! I think that is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said about my poetry! =) Thank you so much! And thank you, of course, for the word I got to use.

I really hope you'll be able to join us for the next W&Q. I'll be hosting it for November and accepting submissions starting this Wednesday.