30 October 2010

+JMJ+

Locus Focus: Take Twenty-Five!



Welcome to Scary Settings: The Movie Edition!!!

This is our first Movie Edition and I don't know why it took me so long to host one. Cinema can do wonders for settings--especially scary ones.

"Thrillers" can mean either novels or movies; "Romances" are still dominated by books; "Biographies" don't quite call to mind documentaries; and "Philosophy" must still call to mind scrolls. But say "Horror"--and everyone's mind jumps to the most frightening film of his life. Cinema owns this genre . . . and we all know it.

(And that is why, next year, October will be reserved for Scary Settings from movies all the way!!! I just hope we all can stand to wait that long . . .)

Please note that I watched the following movie for "Peril of the Screen" in the RIP V Challenge. I've already linked this post up at the RIP V Challenge Review Site.




Hollywood
Scream 3
Scream3

"What's your favourite scary movie?" Sidney Prescott asks LAPD homicide detective Mark Kincade.

He answers: "My life."

Sure enough, what we learn in this scary movie, which is partly set on a real set (which, of course, is a fake set on the real real set), is that everything Hollywood hands us is really just a smokescreen. Every Horror movie that comes out of Tinsel Town only distracts us from the fact that the scariest setting of all, filled with some of the sickest psychos of all, is Hollywood itself.

Scream 3 plays with this smoke-and-mirrors idea by layering realistic sets over reality and vice-versa, starting with the near-exact recreation of Sidney's Woodsboro home. The actual home is where the killings began; the reconstructed home is where the killings continue. And all the time the viewer is reminded, with a tart dose of irony, that the real Horror is not what you see on the screen, but what you might never see behind the scenes . . . or behind the backdrops . . . or behind the two-way mirrors . . . or behind the revolving bookcase . . . or in short, behind the mask. And no, I don't mean Ghostface's.

In other words, forget every made-up scary setting this town has treated you to. Hollywood's reality is all you need. While you're at it, forget all the classic characters, the beloved Scream Queens, who never met a villain who could keep them down for long. Here we have the story of a young, beautiful, innocent heroine--an aspiring actress--whose only chance at her own schlocky B-movie success is an audition on the infamous casting couch. Never mind whether she was ever cast as Final Girl or not. In her own life, she was nothing but fodder.

Since seeing Scream 3, I can't watch a starlet-packed Horror film without wondering what real-life horror it fed from first. And I think about every actress who ever got her start in this genre and made it big, and wonder whether the cost of being Tinsel Town's Final Girl was worth it.

RIP V

Now it's your turn!
Leave the link to your Locus Focus post in the linky
and take some time to check out and comment on those of others.
I can't wait to read what everyone has to say! =D




Other Loci Foci from this week . . .

Haddonfield, Illinois (Halloween) @ From Midnight, with Love

Summerisle (The Wicker Man, 1973) @
Birdie's Nest

Sleepy Hollow (Sleepy Hollow) @
This Miss Loves to Read

San Francisco (Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1973) @
Hey! Look behind You!

Image Source: Scream 3

10 comments:

The Mike said...

Fine choice, ma'am! I always thought the recreation of Woodsboro in Scream 3 was an incredibly creepy idea, and you're right on the money!

My post is up and linked, it was a lot of fun! Thanks for the challenge!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

One of the first reviews of Scream 3 I ever read (back in 2000, if anyone is keeping track) was pretty down on that Woodsboro home, saying that "Wes Craven is running out of ideas." When I saw the movie myself, I had the opposite reaction. The Woodsboro recreation wasn't an old, tired idea; it was something we thought was old, that suddenly came alive to show us what else it could do. It was very clever and I appreciated it! =)

Speaking of appreciation, thanks so much for linking up your own post. I enjoyed reading it very much! =)

Birdie said...

Ok, I may actually have to go watch this one now. I have only seen Scream 1 because most times I find I don't care for sequels, but I think this is worth a viewing.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Scream 2 is probably my favourite of the series. It weaves both the rules of a sequel and the conventions of an adaptation into the story. The whole franchise appeals to both my love for Horror and my been-there-seen-that cynicism honed from years of watching Horror. I can't wait for Scream 4!

Thanks for joining again this week, Birdie! =)

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read said...

Oh, no! I entered myself and I see you've already done it for me. Sorry!

Great choice! I love the Scream movies for their creepiness and you really chose a wonderful, scary setting. I should rewatch this movie, I really should.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Oh, Irena, that was entirely my fault! =( Other participants have had the experience of entering their posts and then having the links completely vanish. I thought it had happened to you and believed I was being a good hostess by silently "restoring" it without worrying you.

Well, that backfired, didn't it? LOL! But it's easy enough for me to edit the linky. =)

I think you picked a great movie setting, too! The scary movies I usually watch tend to play around with the Gothic, "superimposing" it on our familiar, non-scary world. But Sleepy Hollow goes for atmosphere, design, history, and everything else for the win!

Cherry said...

I don't watch horror movies but I support those who do :)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks, Cherry! I appreciate everyone who follows this blog. =) I'm glad you found the time to visit and leave a comment.

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read said...

Hehe, no, I didn't read further and thought you hadn't posted Mr Linky's widget yet, my bad.:)

You're totally right, Sleepy Hollow goes for, as you said, "atmosphere, design, history" and I love Burton for that. That's his signature, one could say.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

My own favourite Tim Burton movie is Ed Wood. I loved the way he gave Old Hollywood, which we think of as so glamourous, especially in black and white, the same atmosphere one would find in a B-movie of that era. Perfect!

Thanks again for joining the link up, Irena. =)