06 October 2010

+JMJ+

Let's Play Poetry Again!


letter W Ampersand Q
number 5


Regular players: please e-mail your entries straight to her. =)

Prospective players: check out the Playing Poetry page for rules, mechanics and samples. We hope you can join us this month! =)

Everyone: if you want to sign up to host this in November, make sure you bag it in this combox, so we know!

And now for something really indulgent . . .

One of the reasons I had hoped to get a small group together to play Word & Question was that I hadn't written any poetry in yonks, and thought that I needed the swift kick in the pants that comes from writing in a group. And I definitely got that! (Thanks, gang!)

Indeed, I'm also starting to scribble a bit on my own again. Last weekend, while looking for a remembered passage in Joan Aiken's The Way to Write for Children, I noticed that one of the section headers was a question--a very good question. And I thought I'd like to answer that in a poem. So I went through the rest of the book, looking for a section header that was a single word . . . And about an hour later, I had the following . . .


Word: Voice
Question: Do you want to write about children or for them?

You say my gift is the telling of tales--
I can spin straw into stories of gold.
Invention is easy; wit never fails:
My voice can make people believe what they're told.
No need for a storm to rage in the night;
Or for a bonfire to make shadows dance.
Story is more than a trick of the light:
It takes more than sound to herald romance.
I know my gift is the heart of the child
Who doesn't mind houses built out of straw
And doesn't demand that the weather be wild
But listens with love and eyes full of awe.
My favourite audience fits in my lap;
The sweetest applause, the snores of his nap.

In other words, I'm pretty psyched for October. Bring on the words and questions, my friends!

4 comments:

Salome Ellen said...

Love the poem! And the "official" post will be up later today. I already have one entry. ;-D

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks, Ellen! =)

I've already edited this post so that it links straight to your "official" post.

Paul Stilwell said...

I love this poem of yours. I really like how you turn "snores" - a distress signal to any storyteller, performer, filmmaker etc. that he is putting his audience to sleep - into a signal of fulfillment, of highest attainment.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Hmmmmm. I actually didn't see it that way! Thanks, Stilwell. =)