28 September 2010

+JMJ+

Team Taylor Mashing It Up!

My original plan was to post a Taylor Swift/Trisha Yearwood face-off (Love Story vs. She's in Love with the Boy--figure it out for yourselves) . . . but then I remembered that there are better things to do with music. Didn't I learn anything from that utterly successful "Weird Al" Yankovic Song Smackdown??? And I don't just mean parodies . . . I also mean mash-ups.


+

Yes, that's right: Taylor's Fearless ("You take my hand and drag me headfirst/ Fearless . . .") and Britney's Sometimes ("Sometimes I run/ Sometimes I hide/ Sometimes I'm scared of you . . .") turned into a single song.

And my inner teenager says it must be good because my mother heard me playing it and said, "I don't know where I went wrong with you. Your father is one of the most respected musicians in the country, and there you are listening to 'Weird Al' and chopping up other people's perfectly good songs."


The Mixed Signals Song

[G]There's something about the way
[D]The street looks when it's just [Am] rained
There's a glow off the [C] pavement
You walk me to the [G] car
And you know I wanna [D]ask you to dance right [Am]there
In the middle of the [C]parking lot

[D]But sometimes I [G]run
Some[D]times I hide
Sometimes I'm [Am7]scared of you
When [C]all I really want is
To [G] hold you tight
[D]Treat you right, be with you [C]day and night--
[D]Fearless

[G D Am C]

[G]So baby drive slow [D]until we run out of road
[Am]In this one horse [C]town, I wanna stay right [G]here
In this passenger [D]seat, you put your eyes on [Am]me
In this moment, now [C]capture it . . .

[D]Because sometimes I [G]run
Some[D]times I hide
Sometimes I'm [Am7]scared of you
When [C]all I really want is
To [G]hold you tight
[D]Treat you right, be with you [C]day and night--
[D]Fearless

[G D C D]

[C]I want to be[D]lieve in everything that you [G]say
[D]Because it sounds [Em]so good
[F]You pull me in, I'm a [G]little more brave
It's our [Am]first kiss, it's [Am7]flawless, really [C]something
[D]Baby, all I need is time

[G D Am C]

[D]Sometimes I [G]run
Some[D]times I hide
Sometimes I'm [Am7]scared of you
When [C]all I really want is
To [G]hold you tight
[D]Treat you right, be with you [C]day and night--
[D]Fearless

Notes:

1) What I really wanted, melody-wise, were the verses of Sometimes and the chorus of Fearless--but the lyrics just didn't work together that way.

2) My original mash-up of the chorus gave me this combination:

[G]I don't know how [D]it gets better than [Am]this
When [C]all I really want is to [G]hold you tight
[D]And with you I'd [Am]dance
[C]Day and night . . . [D]Fearless

Sometimes I add it at the end as a (fake) ad lib.

3) I'll admit this mash-up is a little hard to sing. I cover Fearless with my capo on the third fret; Sometimes, with my capo on the first fret. So I play my "Mixed Signals Song" with my capo on second . . . but I'm still too low on the verses and too high on the chorus. =(

4) For those missing the potential face-off, let me say that I think Sometimes is the better song. For one thing, I don't think it was written expressly for Britney, which meant it had to be able to suit any singer. (Kind of like . . . Baby, One More Time. You all know the story behind that one, don't you?) And that means that I can sing it really well, too. Fearless, on the other hand, was written by Taylor for herself--and I think she's the only one who can do it any real justice.

8 comments:

Sullivan McPig said...

I don't know those songs, but the lyrics you mashed up sound ok when reading it and not like someting that got Frankensteined.

Belfry Bat said...

"cutting up ... perfectly good"... ?

Compare and contrast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rOuaAMzhCA
(1. Bach, original)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wksoe1iKz5c
(2. Bach, <-- 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXjUPMrVhgc
(3. Bach-Kempff, <-- 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhnhwYhaqPc
(Bach-Rachmaninov, <-- 1)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Sully: Thanks! I've been working on other mash ups and have been getting a lot of Franken-songs, so I know what you mean. =P

These two are among the girliest of girly pop. If you don't already know them . . . you're probably better off than I am. LOL!

Bat: Well, now that you bring it up, my mother might react differently if I were a classically trained musician mashing up the Masters.

Or was your rebuttal directed towards the "perfectly good" part? LOL!!!

Cozy Book Nook (Lesa) said...

I'm not a musician but I can see how this would be a very entertaining pasttime. Too funny what your mother said!

Belfry Bat said...

Only just thumping on the fact that musical (and poetical) thievery is an ancient practise --- some would even say exercise --- and it's not even plagiarism if you credit your sources! (It might still be breach of copyright if you don't supply royalties... }:( )

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Lesa: If you think that was funny, then you should have seen her face! She had the Did this alien creature really come out of my body or did they switch babies in the hospital look again. LOL!!!!!

Bat: Oh, my mother's issue isn't in the "thievery" of someone's creative output, but in the disrespect she thinks is intrinsic to every parody and mash up. (Which is kind of funny because my father's most lauded work is a jazz arrangement of a traditional Philippine folksong. I think he'd hate parodies, too, but that he'd be fascinated with mash ups.)

CMinor said...

The thing is, it's scary how so many popular songs lend themselves so well to the genre (assuming you're really creative and have access to some top-grade sound mixing equipment):
http://norwegianrecycling.multiply.com/music

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I started doing my own after I heard The Four Chord Song by The Axis of Awesome. =)