07 September 2010

+JMJ+

Remember Those Team Taylor Tuesdays?

My guitar and I have been warming to Taylor again, so I thought I'd bring this feature back--just for September.

And since I've grown really fond of face-offs, let's have one between the two princesses who currently have the sparkly kingdom of Country-esque Girl Pop divided between them.

(Yes, there's also Kellie Pickler . . . but don't spoil my rhetoric, here.)


Picture to Burn vs. Before He Cheats

vs.
Watch Picture to Burn Official Video / Watch Before He Cheats Official Video

I've included the links to the official music videos for two reasons . . .

First of all, if you look really closely, you'll see that our Taylor plays a Catholic girl in her video. =P

Secondly, I have a really cute story about one of them--but I won't say which one because it might unfairly influence the vote . . .


vs.

It all started the afternoon my little brother Cue-card Boy decided to watch Freddy vs. Jason. It was over an hour of gratuitous, ridiculous violence played up for laughs--and judging by his many delighted exclamations, he enjoyed every minute of it.

In the meantime, I was practicing one of these two songs by watching the video on YouTube and playing along. When my brother was done, he wandered over to where I was, watched about ten seconds of the revenge-fantasy-on-video, and then cried out:

"That's so awful! Why did they make a video of something like that? Why do you like watching that kind of stuff? It's just wrong!!!"

It took me about ten minutes to stop laughing. Little boys have such an odd definition of Horror. =P

Image Sources: a) Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood, b) Freddy vs. Jason poster

8 comments:

antiaphrodite said...

This is really hard to decide...

I think I need influencing!!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

But your unbiased opinion matters to me!!! =P

CMinor said...

Okay, call me slow but I missed the Catholic connection. The band member licking the cutlery and putting it back in the basket was a nice touch, though.

I'm with Taylor, if only because Before He Cheats got so much play around my stomping grounds that Picture sounds fresh by comparison. It's also a little less overtly violent. Both are pretty good breakup songs.

CMinor said...

NVM, I got it this time. Though rearview mirror rosaries aren't necessarily exclusive to Catholics in all parts of the U.S. At least she wasn't wearing it as a necklace.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I think I found her more Catholic because it was hanging from the mirror rather than from her neck. =P Only little kids wear rosaries here (with some exceptions, of course), but many people will hang rosaries and even scapulars from their rear-view mirrors.

And now I'm curious to learn why a non-Catholic in the US might want to hang a rosary in his car. Shed some light, Cminor? =)

antiaphrodite said...

But your unbiased opinion matters to me!!!

But my opinions are pretty much biased anyway!!

CMinor said...

It's usually Catholic, although I'm pretty sure non-Catholic Christians sometimes do it too, especially in heavily Catholic areas where everybody's got one--some makers of car air fresheners actually make scented rosaries to hang from your mirror. The rosary-as-necklace look has, unfortunately gotten more popular of late--it started out with young Hispanic males who should have known better but seems to have caught on with (mostly) young guys who affect the "gangsta" style. It's gotten prevalent enough that the local mall in our heavily Baptist town now has a kiosk of rosaries and rosary-like jewelry aimed at that market--that's annoying. At least they don't yank off the crucifixes a la 80's punks anymore.

Re the video: As the hub observed, they don't do anything by accident in those things. So the rosary could indicate Catholicism (or at least Christianity--showbiz types aren't known for their understanding of denominational nuance) but my guess is its purpose was mainly to mark Taylor as a "good girl" (as opposed to the trashy chick the ex-bf was making out with in his truck.) It could also suggest a working-class connection (though you sure wouldn't have gotten that from the vehicles those kids are driving!) as one doesn't typically find rosaries (or even fuzzy dice) hanging from the mirrors of stereotypical TV lawyers or other white collar types. Anyway, that's my conjecture.

If they really wanted to get into the Catholic theme, though, the vid's producers could have added a brief final scene of Taylor stepping into a confessional in order to unburden herself of that revenge fantasy!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks for the interpretation. =) I know the first thing I look at when I get into a taxi is the rear-view mirror. Sometimes there are sacramentals; sometimes there are sampaguita garlands (which, because they are often hung on religious statues, have a second-degree sacramental air); sometimes there are feng shui charms meant to bring good luck. =P No fuzzy dice, though.