27 September 2010

+JMJ+

"M" is for Monday/Mail/Memo
(And "L" and "S" are for linked up late at The Story Siren)

Well, it's Monday, the day when--for alliterative reasons--I like to report that I've received books in the mail. On this particular Monday, I'm also pondering the unexpected, but perfectly welcome turn of events at my city's central post office.

You might remember what happened early last year, when a friend sent me her copies of the first twelve books of J.D. Robb's In Death series. Customs charges the declared value of each book plus the cost of shipping--so despite the fact that my friend sent used books that were given as a gift, I still had to pay for them. And given the US dollar-Philippine peso exchange rate, by the time the post office was done shaking me down, I was broke, angry, and borderline libertarian.

So I wrote an article that got me over 600 hits on my old, dead blog, about fifty sympathetic e-mail messages, and (or so I dare to think) some results. For since that day, I haven't had to pay anything except the "storage" fee. (Which is still a bit of a joke. I'd understand a delivery fee if they brought something to my door, but not a storage fee because they held something until I could come and get it.)

Anyway, it might just be a coincidence (especially since the really unattractive mail lady with the mealy mouth was transferred elsewhere a few months ago), but the imaginative part of my mind likes thinking that maybe my article (and my fierce-ass meltdown!) made someone write a memo.

Anyway, here's my latest haul. As usual, I'm sorry for the poor quality of the photographs . . .



Thanks to Birdie of Birdie's Nest for this book and the lovely card!

You can also read her review of Black as He's Painted by Ngaio Marsh, and see if it's something you'd like to read as well.

I started reading it on the way home from the post office and am pleased to report that there is a house in it that is screaming for its own Locus Focus spotlight! Maybe after I'm done with the Scary Settings?


Thanks to the Badass Bookie for these two L.M. Preston novels!

She also has a review of The Pack and an interview with L.M. Preston.

I haven't started these two yet because I'm like Schopenhauer's donkey who will starve to death before he can make a choice between two bales of hay (or however that scenario goes). But I'm excited about the Martian setting--which, come to think of it, I haven't indulged in since my summer of Ray Bradbury--and curious about the space camp in which one of the characters of Explorer X-Alpha has to spend his summer. So I'll have something on these books as well, sooner rather than later. =)

4 comments:

Sullivan McPig said...

Isn't it great to get books in the mail!?
I myself won two books last week and am eagerly waiting for their arrival.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Yes, it's a real adventure! =D

I just got another book today--my first ARC (!!!)--that I look forward to sharing next week. =)

Cozy Book Nook (Lesa) said...

Congrats on the books! So happy you are receiving improved service from your post office. Is it gratifying or disturbing that officials may be reading your blog?

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I think it was my article that got the results (if ever!) and that nobody is really monitoring this blog.

But now that you mention it, I'm getting kind of paranoid. (LOL!) Cue the Orwellian music! ;-)