16 August 2010

+JMJ+

Twelve Things about Yours, Mine and Ours (Remake)

12. One of the filmmakers said he didn't want to do a movie about eighteen white kids. Now, as an Angelina Jolie fan, I would have respected his PC-ness preference . . . if it were not for the fact that the North-Beardsleys were a real family. Wrong call, mate! Make up a fictional family next time, okay?

11. The two opening sequences aren't bad, especially since the viewer is introduced to twenty main characters (the eighteen kids and their two widowed parents) all at once. Every child has a distinct personality quirk. If only the first day of school were this easy for me.

10. "Just because [they] got married, we all have to suffer." I'm kind of cynical about what a twice-married relative of mine calls "ready-made families" being able to get along immediately. But these kids have no baggage and no reason not to get along, so I have no sympathy for their self-entitlement, either. (Written like a true adult. I'm getting old . . .)

9. All families are different, but differences have to be dramatised to the point of farce in these movies. So here we have . . .



Family #1
Headed by someone who says:
There goes my dream of an all-family sailing team

vs.

Family #2
Raised by someone who says:
Homes are for free expression, not for good impressions.


How to get them to get along???

8. "Operation Lighthouse" would be a cool (and very thematic) title for that alternative movie about a fictional "ready-made" family.


If When you watch this, take note of every scene set in the lighthouse. There, the parents tell each other the love story that will parallel their own (and in the deleted scene, share their first kiss since they broke up all those years ago). It is also where the children start their first big fight, have their secret meeting, and meet to reflect on the success of their plotting and why it makes them feel so bad.

7. And yet the lighthouse itself had to be digitally added to the set! (Not only Action movies benefit from new film technology!)


The sea in the background was added in, too. And it's just as significant! Not only because the father is in the US Coast Guard--because that is yet another symbol for the family in this story.

6. I know the lesson is about learning to live with and love people one has nothing in common with--which is the very definition of a (functional) family--but which family would you rather have come from?

When I polled my brothers, I got these answers . . .

Camera Man: The Norths
"Because the mom is free and fun!"

Cue-card Boy: The Beardsleys
"Because the dad is disciplined!"
(I know, right?!?!?!)

5. "A clean ship is a happy ship!" Okay, but whatever happened to "The family that prays together, stays together?"

But these North-Beardsleys aren't Catholic, either. I guess eighteen Catholic kids would have been too much for that aforementioned filmmaker as well? (Strangely, I'm not taking that personally.)

4. Why does something ridiculous always happen to the father? In this movie alone, he has half a hardware store dumped on him, gets a can of paint stuck on his foot, lands face-first in wallpaper glue, and kisses a pig.

I used to think it was a convention of modern children's movies . . . but then I reread Peter Pan last month and saw that the properly Victorian J.M. Barrie makes light of Mr. Darling, too. Is this a Freudian thing, then?

3. Soundtrack time!!! You have to love a movie that ends on a note like this . . .



2. It makes one wish this were the pilot of a TV series rather than a movie that may never get a sequel. I got the sense that the story was just beginning.

1. Now, for the one millionth time . . . Meg Ryan left Dennis Quaid for Russell Crowe??? WHY???

Image Sources: a) Yours, Mine and Ours poster, b) Operation Lighthouse, c) House with Lighthouse

17 comments:

dylan said...

Maxine Nightingale! From, I think, 1976! Ah, those halcyon days of yore!

(I was actually alive in 1976.)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Which makes you, what, thirty-four? Thirty-five? ;-)

Younger than Christopher!!!

Tiny Dog said...

Here's the answer to your nr 1. question: because he cheated on her for a number of YEARS in the late nineties. Any woman would/should leave a man like that.

Plus Russell Crowe is way hotter, sorry ;-)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Here's another question for you:

How often do you google "Dennis Quaid vs. Russell Crowe"?

christopher said...

Hey, you're all younger than me here aren't you? ...

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Did you catch the Coast Guar reference as well???

dylan said...

Enbrethiliel --

I was seven in 1976. Which makes me forty-one now! A Methuselan pinnacle of superannuation. (Perhaps not. But it's the oldest I've ever been!)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I have given the charges against Quaid a lot of thought and now Shredded Cheddar has an official statement on that.

Which is that Meg Ryan should have done everything humanly possible to keep Quaid happy while they were married.

Then again, Russell Crowe was punishment enough for her folly. Some women need to get their eyes checked.

Dauvit Balfour said...

This movie frustrated me. I wanted to smack everyone: the kids for being brats, the parents for being stupid and short-sighted and not, y'know, talking about things before saying "hey, let's get hitched."

I've never seen the original, but I suspect that, as with Cheaper by the Dozen, it's probably better.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Yeah, the parents did have it coming. But there would have been no way to stretch the courtship out properly and not also add another hour to this movie. That's why I think a series would be better . . . but not much better if it's also handled by Nickelodeon.

It's quickie storytelling. Not very satisfying in the end, but all right if you don't expect it to be more than that.

twowaysofrenouncingthedevil said...

Tell me you saw the original, please.

Such a good movie. The scene where the dad lectures the teens is priceless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82D4cvaGJSo&feature=PlayList&p=D18A528F78D68C93&index=10

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Of course I've seen the original! When I was done with this post, I was a little shocked that I didn't mention it in any of my twelve things. I usually do when it comes to remakes.

Much better storytelling in less time, too!

CMinor said...

Since you locked the "Punk Catholic combox above, I'm spared having to come up with anything thoughtful or intelligent to say. Thus:

Haven't seen this, or the original; suspect that the original might be a little more palatable, however. Still haven't gotten over my irritation that they got rid of any vestige of the historical Gilbreth family (whose contributions to management theory were significant)in the remake of Cheaper By The Dozen.

CMinor said...

Oh, yeah--and who'd they get to CG in that lighthouse? Thomas Kincade??

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I'm not a big fan of the new Cheaper by the Dozen, but I haven't seen the original, either. I agree it's kind of misleading to take old titles if you're not really going to retell the same stories.

LOL! The fake lighthouse is unfortunate, too. =P But I guess it was cheaper than actually building one--or building a "shell" of one--or finding a house that already had one.

mrsdarwin said...

My family watched the old Yours, Mine, and Ours when I was 39 weeks pregnant, and all I could think of (in regards to Lucille Ball trying to tell Henry Fonda that she had eight kids) was, "I'd have to be pregnant three more times to match her."

Haven't seen the new one, but there's not a recent Hollywood movie that gets the big family right.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I might control the reading in the family, but my brothers control the TV; so I get to watch a lot of (relatively) new movies.

What are your favourite big family movies, Mrs. Darwin?