07 July 2010

+JMJ+

Pencils Up!
(Or should that be "Pencils Down"?)


letter W ampersand & letter Q
floor number 2

Yes, I know this is late. Even my own muse is never on time, I'm afraid. =(

But thanks to the wonders of technology, we can backdate posts so that those which were written on a Thursday will show up under Wednesday's date, anyway. It's so blatantly Orwellian that I should shun it . . . but of course I don't! =P


Word -- Spaghetti
Question -- Do houses need love?

Can't you hear the yard asking us for a garden--
For flowers and herbs and some decorative rocks?
The front door has joined in, demanding a doorbell
To spare it the rapping and tapping and knocks.
And I'm certain the front hall dreams of a coat rack
Topped off with a hat never meant to be worn,
And the library thinks it should have the old stereo
So the quiet old bookshelves don't feel so forlorn.
The kitchen chimes in for bread always rising;
To give it's oven a reason for living, you see.
And what is a pantry without any pasta?
"Please stockpile spaghetti!" ours calls out to me.
The master bedroom happily murmurs
That it likes our collection of homemade quilts best.
The nursery nods, but adds in a whisper
That as long as it has a new baby, it's blest.
The attic says nothing, content with its secrets;
The den wonders in earnest why we have no pet;
The frustrated garage wishes it were the tool shed;
The proud porch has a swing and thinks it's all set.
And I say our home is like part of the family
With a daily report of its own when we dine.
If it has enough love and is welcome at table
It will have all it needs and be perfectly fine.

Well, that is my humble bit of poetry for this week! Please put up the links to your own in the combox, as I can't wait to see what you superior poets have come up with!

20 comments:

Fun and Fearless said...

Your poem about a family house is nice and light. And the topic for your Locus Focus meme is about family house too, right? ^_^

Dauvit Balfour said...

Ha! Superior poets. Clearly you forgot I was partaking as well. Here's mine. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to post the word and question, so I didn't put it in my post. I'll give you (I mean you reading the comments, obviously E already knows) a hint: neither is the obvious option.

Matrix Analysis

Salome Ellen said...

Mine's here.

I really like yours a lot! I tend, I think, to focus on the mechanics and make the prompts fit. Yours flows more the other way.

(And I didn't finish until Thursday, either. ;-D )

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

F&F: The upcoming themes will always be posted on the sidebar or on the main Locus Focus page.

Dauvit: We usually do post the word and question, but I like your twist of asking others to guess what you got. It's too bad that I already know the answers . . . =P

Ellen: Thank you!

That's an interesting observation. I know I started with the image of a pot of spaghetti noodles boiling on a stove and the question of what would spell love to a house. And I ended up with dried pasta in the pantry and other stuff that the parts of a house might appreciate. I'm really glad you like it.

Heather said...

I think that's a sweet poem-I like the idea of the house as part of the family. I haven't written any poetry since truly horrifying teenage girl poetry back in high school, so I am always impressed with the poetic creativity of others!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks, Heather! But I think that in my case, the term should be "poetic desperation"! I wrote both my Word & Question poems at the last minute. There was a time it used to be much easier . . . but that was probably when I was turning out "teenage girl poetry" of my own! *shudder*

We'll have this game again soon, if you want to join the third round. We'd love to have you. =)

Belfry Bat said...

I'm still stewing on mine... who knows when it'll come, eh?

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

You should host the game next, Bat. There is something about the pressure of putting up the first post that really gets the juices flowing. ;-)

Sullivan McPig said...

Oh, I really like your poem, the house sounds very alive.
I didn't even start yet, I'm too busy overseeing all the packing.

Paul Stilwell said...

I second Sullies comment about the house being alive: asking, demanding, chiming in, for these things. Giving the oven a reason for living.

"With a daily report of its own when we dine." is an interesting line.

This is better on the second read. For "poetic desperation" you do good.

Or should that be "well"?

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

@ Sully: Thanks! That was your question, wasn't it? I think I know why you came up with it. ;-) I wonder whether our word and our question say just as much about us as our poems do!

Good luck with the rest of the packing! I hope that you can get settled and relaxed again very soon. =)

@ Stilwell: Well, "Word & Question" was also an act of poetic desperation: I hadn't written any poetry in yonks and thought that if I didn't do this now, I'd never get around to writing any more. I'm glad you like this one. =)

Kinsey said...

This poem cheered up my day. No really, it did. The imagery was so vivid to me, I could almost feel my hand opening the door to every part of the house.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Kinsey, that's a lovely comment! Thank you! =)

Sullivan McPig said...

yup, it was my question and I do confess houses are on my mind at the moment ;-)

Belfry Bat said...

Enfin! voici ma pauvre poƩsie.

Merci, Enbrethiliƫl

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

De nada, mi amigo murcielago!

Paul Stilwell said...

http://spikeisbest.blogspot.com/2010/08/word-question.html

A little late, yes?

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

But in time for the next W&Q! I'm putting the announcement up next week. =)

Sullivan McPig said...

mine is done too!
http://mcpigpearls.blogspot.com/2010/08/word-and-question-poem.html

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks, Sully! =)